If you saw the post earlier in the month you know my word of the year for 2017 is TRY. Try what? Well, try really anything – little, big, everything in between. NO matter how small or imperfect, every try is a step to being your best. Not even half way through the month of January and I am already blown away with how much can be accomplished, how many goals reached if I really put my mind to trying; which is why I teamed up with goodnessknows who challenged me to try something new in the first 30 days of 2017.
For instance, one of the things I really wanted to try was to read more this year. 2016 was a rough year, which manifested itself in some serious time management issues. While I wanted to read more last year, I didn’t really put too much effort into it, figuring there was no way I could manage with all the other things I had going on. So in total I read less than 2 books – In the Garden of Beasts and 3/4 of The Book Thief. Pathetic. I know. (To be fair, this number does not take into account all the things I read for school and such. I’m just talking ‘fun’ reads.) So, I decided to really try and read two books a month this year. But to do that, I need to commit and find a time to fit it in, because it’s not as if this year I magically have more time than I did last year. I realized I could ‘read’ audiobooks – taking advantage of the 30-min morning and evening commutes. An hour a day, 5 days a week, means I can easily get through a book in two weeks, even if I have no other time to read than those moments. And guess what? I did! I finished my first book of the year on Saturday!
So now, on to the next thing on my Try list. This month I want to successfully complete a health and fitness challenge, by making better for me drink and snack choices. Now is the time to re-start, to try again. I’m going back to a nearly paleo diet. (I say nearly because I eat about 90% paleo. The other 10% is still good-for-you food items, but not as strict. Because every now and then you need a slice of cheese or some peanuts.)
To hit this goal I’m making small but meaningful changes to my every day and rejoicing when I manage to stick with them. I’m ditching beer, for now. Opting instead for a sparkling water or, on a rare special occasion, a hard cider. I made a commitment to drink at least 100 ounces of water every day, which is way more challenging than I thought it would be. To hit that goal, I make sure to have one large glass of water sitting next to my alarm clock, so when it goes off in the morning I down that glass to start the day. I drink another right before bed, one or two glasses with each meal and try to keep refilling my water bottle at school as the day progresses. It’s difficult at times, but I already feel a difference in the way I feel overall.
I’m also thinking smarter about my snacks. When it’s the middle of the afternoon, the school day is over, and I’m exhausted from hours of performing in front of a class, it’s so tempting to reach for something that is tasty and easy – which doesn’t always translate to good for you. One of those things I’m opting for instead of a candy bar or way more sweet potato chips than is good for any one person is a goodnessknows package. (The company’s mantra is ‘try a little goodness’ – how perfect for my word of the year.) These things are incredibly tasty and filled with good ingredients.
The snack squares come in six delicious flavors, three of which are new: cranberry, almond, dark chocolate; apple, almond & peanut, dark chocolate; peach & cherry, almond, dark chocolate; blueberry, almond, dark chocolate; mixed berries, almond, dark chocolate; and strawberry, peanut, dark chocolate. So far my favorite combination is the blueberry, almond, dark chocolate! So seriously delicious. Plus, these snack squares do not contain any artificial colors, flavors, preservatives or high fructose corn syrup! It’s just whole nuts, real fruit and dark chocolate.
Beyond the water intake and the better-for-me snacking, I’m also trying to attempt at least 15 new fitness classes. I’m using an app that’s filled with workouts for outdoor running, treadmills, ellipticals, yoga, strength training, indoor cycling and marathon training. The classes are leveled beginner, intermediate and advanced – helping me pick where to start and where I want to me. (If you want to try the Aaptiv app use KATYHINDERERCLUB to get a free month of workouts.!
My DietBet goes until January 30th so I still have half the month to work at eating right, exercising and hydrating like a pro. And since, as Aristotle said, we are what we repeatedly do, I’m hoping this is the start of a great 2017 with a little try and a whole lot of awesomeness. Stay tuned for a February post in which I do a wrap up on my January of trying.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of goodnessknows. The opinions and text are all mine. To find out more about goodnessknows, visit them on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or the web.