I received this adorable Spring dress in the mail this week. It was one of those – I wish the weather was warm impulses. I knew when I chose it from Monroe and Main that it would likely sit in my closet for weeks, maybe even months knowing the Milwaukee winters. But then, this morning as I was getting ready I glanced at the dress hanging in my closet and on an impulse tried it on. The next thing I knew I was layering the Spring dress with a number of Winter essentials and I had an outfit that I actually loved. It got me thinking winterizing Spring and Summer items is truly possible.
How to Winterize your Favorite Spring/Summer Dress:
- Start with the dress and then think in layers.
- For layering items, focus on the darkest colors in the spring dress/skirt or the darkest colors that will work with the pattern/color. This might mean trying on a couple different color and item combinations.
- Add tights or leggins for warmth. I used light gray with this outfit to further bring the Spring feel of the skirt into the look without overwhelming.
- Use tall boots or even booties to give the whole look a more winterized feel. (And to shield your legs from the cold.)
- Add a jacket or sweater that gives warmth and just a little bulk.
- Make sure the total outfit still gives some resemblance of a figure. We don’t want to be a square mass of layers. Women have curves.
- Go with classic or darker-toned accessories.