This weekend a friend is getting married. For the past two years, this girl has lived at the residence I run and therefore a large number of other residents are invited to the event. What to wear to a summer wedding is never as easy task to determine. My week has been filled with trial runs by different people, where they come parading into my office in a dress begging for help pairing it with shoes and accessories. It’s been a very fun and unexpected part of this job. This morning when another resident came tip-toeing in with an adorable brown patterned dress, I realized there was a blog post in all this. Thanks to Polyvore here are nine different outfit options to consider when heading off to a summer wedding.
What to Wear to a Summer Wedding: (things to keep in mind)
- Find out what time the wedding ceremony is and the reception. If there is a large gap, sometimes an outfit change is suggested.
- Look up the reception venue to get an idea of how formal or casual the reception will be. Attire will vary greatly if the reception is in a line-dancing barn versus a country club.
- Grab a shawl, scarf or little sweater to wear for the actual ceremony. It is usually a form of respect to go a little more covered up if it is a religious service.
- Dress according to your style but if you have a lot of flare you might want to tone down a little so as not to steal the spotlight from the bride.
- Practice moving around in your heels. There is nothing worse than needing to take your shoes off an hour after the whole thing begins.
- To avoid blisters on your feet from all day in high heels, smear a small amount of Vaseline all along your foot, especially where the edges of the shoe hit. You will avoid blisters entirely – although it doesn’t help with aching feet.
- Consider wearability. If you pick a dress that wrinkles easily you will look like a mess after a few hours and a disaster by the end of the night.
- Plan ahead for undergarments. Slips, strapless bras, spanx, whatever it is make sure to try it all on ahead of time to confirm everything fits and looks just like it is supposed to.
Tell me… what was the best dress you’ve found/worn for a summer wedding?
Special love to Gabby for tomorrow’s wedding!