Getting my Sweat On – an FBFF post

by katyrose on April 13, 2012

Marathon Monday is three short days away. I’ve got to admit this is something I followed with mild interest when I lived in New York and St. Louis, but since moving to Boston I’ve become much more engaged. The race runs right past my house. At that point the runners are on their last mile. As someone who has run a couple marathons I know what that last mile is like – grueling an yet exciting. You see that 25-mile marker and can’t help but think I’m almost done with this whole wretched inspiring experience. Thank God!! At that point you are also running along, legs in pain, feet a mess of blisters and thinking I am never EVER doing this again. That mind-set immediately alters when you cross that finish line and realize that this was the single hardest thing you’ve ever done and you conquered it! Shock and awe sets in, followed by a giddy sense of accomplishment and joy. You just ran 26.2 freakin miles.

Ok, I’m sure the elite runners don’t feel that same euphoria but for us normal human beings who train like hell while holding down jobs while keeping up with family and friends, sleeping, eating, resting, etc.. completing is amazing!

I haven’t always been a runner. In fact while in high school and college I couldn’t run a mile. I had a roommate who would be zipping along on the treadmill and I’d be on the machine next to her heaving at half her speed. So not good! Then when I graduated and moved to New York I knew something had to be done about the weight I had gained. I started walking home from work in heels. The 40 minute walk from Times Square to my upper eastside pad was just the beginning. I started running around the reservoir in Central Park – well more like slow jogging with long patches of walking. But each time I challenged myself to run at least a few steps further before walking than I had run the day before.

When I moved to St. Louis I took a leap of faith, signed up for the Chicago marathon and started running nearly daily. It became an obsession and a huge stress reliever. I lost weight, toned muscle, dropped a few sizes and felt better about myself. After that first race I was committed to running. I ran the St. Louis half marathon while I lived there and then the Providence, RI half when I moved up here to Boston. Since living on the East coast again, my running has tapered off significantly. The demands of my job have made frequent runs an impossibility. But what I do find is that after several years of running and being more health-minded I still have a high base of fitness. Now I can run 5 miles even if I haven’t run in a several weeks. They aren’t record breaking speeds but I am able to run at a pretty steady pace.

I’m hoping now that the weather is nicer that I can make more of a concerted effort to run at least 5 times a week and maybe in a month or two I”ll sign up to run another marathon. Mondays Boston Marathon is certainly going to be an incentive to hit the trails again.

Dancing Branflake April 13, 2012 at 11:50 am

You go! I love how you are such an ambitious person. Five days a week is totally doable- I’m sure that having that largest marathon in the world is quite the motivation.
Dancing Branflake recently posted..Smiling Nutella Banana Bread

Fashion By Alicia April 13, 2012 at 12:12 pm

Way to go! I have started walking long distances (running kills my back). I signed up for my first 5K and am hoping I will do a half next spring. We shall see. Good luck and I hope you are able to start your running regimen.
Fashion By Alicia recently posted..Fashionista Friday

Michelle April 13, 2012 at 12:13 pm

That first paragraph gave me chills :) I just started back at the gym this week, so I hear you about getting back into it! There are so many great races in the Boston area, I feel like we are so lucky in that. Racing is my motivation!
Michelle recently posted..Day 12: Stream of Consciousness

Courtney April 13, 2012 at 12:26 pm

What a great post! When I saw the marathon last year, I got chills and wanted to be a runner, too. I’m not, sadly, but it is a wonderful community of people who are just so committed to it.
Courtney recently posted..Bleached Hair, Pink Eyeshadow and Other Things My Mom Hates

Emily April 13, 2012 at 1:06 pm

One day I want to get to Boston! But I’ve got to tackle one goal at a time! I’ve love to be out there for all of the excitement and buzz in the city right now! Chicago is always incredible at Marathon time, can’t even imagine the excitement in the air in Boston! So jealous!!
Emily recently posted..Getting my Sweat On -Triathlons and Running – an FBFF Post

Rachel Jay April 13, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Girl, I’m so impressed with you! I have always had trouble running, so those who do… and especially those who do marathons and half marathons… WOW! It’s awesome that you were able to get into it, stick with it, and can even run 5 miles easy after not doing so for so long.
Rachel Jay recently posted..FBFF: Fitness

No Guilt Fashion April 13, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I have a bunch of friends who run. A couple of them have ran marathons. They have been the big inspiration behind my starting to run. Hope the weather takes it easys on you for a bit, so you can get back in the habit.
No Guilt Fashion recently posted..Friend Friday: Fitness Goals

Sandra92 April 14, 2012 at 12:35 am

You have a lovely image, how I wish I can do that things… Very exciting activities that truly fun…
Sandra92 recently posted..Unlock iPhone 4

Eleanor H. Walton April 14, 2012 at 9:56 am

Very attractive image that catch my attention they look really great! Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo…
Eleanor H. Walton recently posted..Provillus for Women

Jamillah April 15, 2012 at 7:26 pm

You rock the house. I have not yet run a full marathon but I’ve done half marathons and really running is my favorite workout. Running a full marathon is completely scary to me but I definitely want to cross this off my bucket list.

You must must must come down one year for my friend’s marathon party. We cheer the runner and it’s the best time ever.
Jamillah recently posted..A Trip to 2568…

Kara @ Bostonista April 15, 2012 at 11:40 pm

WOW! I really admire runners. It is a skill that I don’t have. I’ve tried to cultivate it and “stick with it” but I just don’t have a runner’s soul. Its not even that I’m out of shape (and I am horribly out of shape) even when I was in incredible shape (thanks to an insane high school cheerleading coach) running was just the most painful, brutal thing for me. So more power to you!
People are always amazed that I’ve lived in MA my entire life and have never gone to the marathon. I like watching it on TV but I’ve never felt personally invested in it. Maybe if you run next year I’ll go to cheer you on!

xo
Kara

PS: I don’t want to be obnoxious but please please please enter my give-a-way with Confabulous Cases. Thanks!

Kazzsandra April 16, 2012 at 12:53 am

I agree that this is a great activity to experience and for sure it is fun and has a lot of benefits for us.. Thanks for inspiring us..
Kazzsandra recently posted..How To Overcome Anxiety

Kathrryn April 16, 2012 at 6:02 am

I wish I can have the same experience as like this..This looks fun and at the same time beneficial too..
Kathrryn recently posted..used cars gloucester

Julie April 16, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Julie recently posted..Intivar Review

Crosby April 16, 2012 at 8:38 pm

These kind of activities are really one of the most important because it can make us fit and at the same time it can be enjoyed as well..
Crosby recently posted..How to Make a Solar Panel

John R. Kennedy April 17, 2012 at 12:06 am

It looks really great! Thanks for sharing this beautiful photo…
John R. Kennedy recently posted..Truth about Idol Tan success! Is Idol Tan a scam?

Mhikkai April 17, 2012 at 8:45 am

I want to try this too.. I have never been engaged into running activities.. I think it can be very healthy for us.. Thanks for this interesting post..
Mhikkai recently posted..Ernest Becker

Liz April 17, 2012 at 11:44 am

I never been tried to join a marathon before. I’d like to join though I had a hectic schedule.
Liz recently posted..Hcg diet reviews

Lindsay Cutter April 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photo…
Lindsay Cutter recently posted..phen375

Jen Franklin April 18, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Always wanted to run a marthon but always was afraid of not finishing. You photos have inspired me to give it a try. Espescially when i see the friendly photos
Jen Franklin recently posted..Vigrx Plus