101 in 1001, challenge

101 in 1001 for ModlyChic

April 4, 2012

Almost a year ago I made a 30 by 30 bucket list of things I wanted to accomplish before I hit the big 3-0! I’ve still got well over a year before that happens, but that list got me thinking that there is a lot more I want to do than a mere 30 tasks. A friend of mine is in the midst of a 101 in 1001 challenge and encouraged me to do it as well.

101 tasks in 1,001 days is an interesting concept. It gives you some significant time to work towards completing the tasks. The idea is that each task should be fairly specific. Nothing vague like I want to be healthier. You’ve gotta get to the nitty gritty with each item.

I’ll be blogging my way through this challenge, which will keep me accountable and hopefully will be fairly interesting to read about. Maybe… If you are interested in making your own list let me know and I’ll include a linky at the bottom of this post for you to add a link to your list and we can all work at helping each other out.

This post has been sitting in my drafts file for a couple days now so I’m going to set the start date of this as March 20, 2012. Which means my end date will be December 16, 2014. (Gosh that seems far away!)

Travel:

1. Walk the entire freedom trail. – DONE 8/12
2. Go to Martha’s Vineyard. – DONE 6/5/12
3. Visit DC for a weekend. – DONE 4/13-4/15/12
4. Go on three new brewery tours. – Lakefront Brewery, Sprecher Brewery,
5. Travel out of the country. – Niagara Falls on the Canada Side (Althought I’m not sure this counts.)
6. Do a road trip with family/friends. – Boston to Milwaukee 8/12
7. See the Grand Canyon.
8. Go to the top of the Sears Tower.
9. Take a Boston duck or trolley tour. – DONE 6/1/12
10. Visit at least three museums in Washington DC. – Holocaust Museum
11. Go on a roughing-it camping trip.
12. Ride on the back of a motorcycle.
13. Visit 4-new-to-me states. – Ohio,
14. Go to Graceland.
15. Visit 10 new-to-me restaurants in Boston. – DONE 8/12 China Pearl, Anthem, Stephanie’s, Bukowski’s, Boston Beer Works, Legal Seafood, Olive Garden, 5 Napkin Burger,
16. Visit 6 different zoos.

Fitness/Health:

17. Run a half marathon in under 1 hour 30 minutes or PR pretty darn close.
18. PR at a full marathon. – DONE 10/13/13 Chicago Marathon 25 minutes faster than previous time!
19. Do the splits.
20. Drop two dress sizes – the healthy way. – DONE 08/30/13 (Thanks to Shaklee program and marathon training.)
21. Do 50 pushups in a row.
22. Take a yoga class.
23. Take a Zumba class.
24. Complete a triathlon.
25. Try snowboarding.
26. Take vitamins daily for a month. – DONE 9/30
27. Try acupuncture. – DONE 7/12 (I’ve got the Instagram pics to prove it.)
28. Go skeet shooting.
29. Drink 64 ounces of water a day for 2 months.
30. Wash my face every morning and night for 2 months.
31. Become a spin instructor.
32. Complete a 50-mile bike trip with family/friends.

Event Planning:

33. Plan/execute a clothing swap.
34. Plan/execute a fashion show.
35. Plan/execute a blogger conference or workshop.
36. Host a blogger meet-up in Chicago. – DONE 01/13
37. Host a blogger meet-up in New York.
38. Collaborate on at least 4 Boston Blogger meet-ups. – DONE 8/12

Education:

39. Read three books by Charles Dickens.
40. Read Grapes of Wrath.
41. Read 4 non-fiction books.
42. Read The Importance of Being Earnest.
43. Read Les Miserables.
44. Take a sewing class.
45. Take a photography class.
46. Learn 6 different country line dances.
47. Take an online course.
48. Learn Spanish.
49. Read 10 indie-published ebooks. – DONE 12/12

Writing:

50. E-publish my second YA book. – DONE 7/12 (The Emerald Isle, a Fascination Island book)
51. E-publish my third YA book. (I’ll need to write this one too.) – DONE 6/10/13 (The Moonlight Serenade, a Fascination Island book)
52. Write one letter per day for 30 days.
53. Submit a completed manuscript in the attempt to get a traditional book deal.
54. Give one of my main male characters a ‘normal’ name.
55. Write 10 ‘letters to the editor.’
56. Send a letter/postcard to someone in every state.
57. Do 25 creative writing prompts.

Blogging:

58. Write my 1,000th blog post on ModlyChic. – DONE Summer 2013
59. Do a photo-a-day project. – DONE April ’12
60. Give my blog a redesign.
61. Get featured in a magazine/newspaper.
62. Film and publish 15 YouTube videos.
63. Write at least 10 guest posts for a non-profit(s) I admire, writing these posts for free.
64. Be a speaker at a conference. – DONE 3/25/12
65. Become a brand ambassador.
66. Revamp and order new business cards.
67. Guest post on 15 blogs.
68. Reach 2,000 Facebook likes. – DONE 7/12, hit 3,000 in December 2012.

With others in mind:

69. Do one good deed for a different stranger for 30 days.
70. Send a card for the birthday of everyone in my family on time.
71. Donate blood three times.
72. Take 5 family members or friends on a personal shopping trip, where I buy nothing and entirely help them.
73. Purge my things and give a large amount of it to Goodwill. – DONE 8/12
74. Leave random notes around the city for strangers to find.
75. Make 10 different random playlist CDs and send them as a surprise to friends.
76. Send every one of my close friends a personal, hand-written letter.
77. Pay for the car behind me at a toll booth.
78. Leave 50 Operation Beautiful notes.
79. Run for a charity. – DONE Chicago Marathon 2013
80. Make at least 10 visits to home-bound elders or those in a nursing home who could use a visit.
81. Do a fun-run with someone who has never competed before.

Fashion:

82. Sew my own skirt or dress.
83. Dye a portion of my hair pink or some other unnatural color.
84. Grow my fingernails out and keep them nicely painted for a month.
85. Get another piercing or my first tattoo. – DONE 4/13 at Saints and Sinners in Milwaukee
86. Complete another 30 for 30 outfit challenge. – DONE 9/12
87. Learn how to wear lipstick.
88. Design a dress that actually gets made.

Misc…

89. Finish paying off my student loans.
90. Go a month without buying anything but the absolute essentials.
91. Become a Yelp Elite member.
92. Go to an outdoor concert. – DONE 07/13 Imagine Dragons and Pretty Lights at SummerFest!
93. Watch an outdoor movie.
94. Learn to drive a manual transmission car.
95. Try 15 new-to-me beers. (not sampler size, full glass size.) -Batch 19, Spotted Cow, Spaten Oktoberfest, Pabst Blue Ribbon, High Speed Wit, Innis & Gunn Rum Casks, Point Whole Hog Bourbon Barrel Aged Barley Wine, Flying Dog Atlantic Lager, Stone Brewing Woot Stout.
96. Switch my credit card to one that will earn me some kind of points. – DONE 4/10 Amazon rewards card
97. Make a 101 things that make me happy list.
98. Keep a potted plant alive for 3 months.
99. Get a library card and actually use it to check out books.
100. Go out for Indian at a legit restaurant with someone who knows what the heck we are ordering.
101. Partake in a flash mob.

You Might Also Like

53 Comments

• Reply Colin April 4, 2012 at 7:31 am

Great work. The works you have selected all are good.
    Mainly Fashion best I think.
    I want some useful steps to be a blogger. Can you provide it?

Waiting,
    Colin
    Colin recently posted..How To Pick Up Girls

• Reply Goody @Curvatude April 4, 2012 at 9:08 am

bonne chance!

i did a 40 by 40 and i have some very similar things on my to do list
    Goody @Curvatude recently posted..{evolve} a lil humpday motivation…

• Reply Hogger & Co. April 4, 2012 at 9:19 am

Partake in a flash mob! Would add that to mine too, if I were doing one. Gosh, this sees so difficult, but also fun.
    The random notes in the city is awesome, too. I might steal a few…if I were doing one. Hhahahaa :)

• Reply Amanda Marsh April 4, 2012 at 9:22 am

Great list! You’ve given me some ideas for my next list. Have fun completing them!
    Amanda Marsh recently posted..Why You Should Care About Young Adult Cancer

• Reply Kristin April 4, 2012 at 9:28 am

I LOVE this list…and I totally need to make one. In fact, I’m bookmarking this so I don’t forget! Good luck…and enjoy!!!
    Kristin recently posted..Discount Mineral Makeup? Awesome.

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:19 am

Kristin – When you make yours send me the link. I’d love to follow along as you work through all 101.

• Reply Still Blonde after all these YEARS April 4, 2012 at 9:28 am

Oh My goodness, just coming up with the list would have blown my mind. But I guess its better than randomly wandering through your days!
    Still Blonde after all these YEARS recently posted..Vintage Lady, Vintage Tee: Old Navy BEST TEEs Review

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:18 am

I won’t lie the list took me several days of thinking and another several hours to write out. I would have never guessed it was so difficult to come up with 101 things I want to accomplish.

• Reply Jamillah April 4, 2012 at 10:40 am

46. Learn 6 different country line dances.- i heart you.
    Jamillah recently posted..Consciously Trending…More Metals

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

HAHAA When you come visit Boston I’ll take you to my new favorite place – a country bar that gives line dancing lessons. No joke. I’ve already got at least 2 new dances down.

• Reply Rachel Jay April 4, 2012 at 11:20 am

WOW! You’ve got some great goals! I pinned this and may even do it myself… it sounds like a wonderful challenge!
    Rachel Jay recently posted..FBFF: The One-Time-Use Piece

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

If you d one send me the link, I’d love to see what you put on your list. We can encourage one another.

• Reply Rebekah April 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

Ahem, Willis Tower, you mean. Just kidding, it’ll always be the Sears Tower to me, too.
    Rebekah recently posted..Fifteen Month Stats

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:16 am

HAHAA I have blocked that name change from my memory. I mean, what the heck?! Don’t even get me started. Ha!

• Reply Mallory April 4, 2012 at 11:35 am

I used to do the 101 in 1001 lists back in my Livejournal days – I even started a community there for people with the lists (which since grew beyond my wildest dreams and I turned it over to some more active members who could keep up with it!). Good luck with your list! Perhaps I should make a new one… especially now that I”m coming up on 30 in about a year and a half!
    Mallory recently posted..GGAB Mother’s Day Gift Guide!

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:15 am

#0 is approaching me in that time frame too. Scary to think about, right?! Would love to see the list you create.

• Reply K Squared Glamour April 4, 2012 at 11:37 am

Love this! looks like fun to participate in i really love #78 Leave 50 Operation Beautiful notes.

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:14 am

Have you heard of Operation Beautiful before? I interviewed the founder and was so impressed with the whole thing. It is an amazing movement for women everywhere.

• Reply Holly April 4, 2012 at 11:47 am

Great list! I’ve tried sticking to year long to-do lists, but this seems like fun!

• Reply Lena - @elenka29 April 4, 2012 at 12:04 pm

ambitious plans – W2G for keeping on top of it
    Lena – @elenka29 recently posted..Shaka-Soap (and much more) Review

• Reply Dancing Branflake April 4, 2012 at 12:15 pm

I love this challenge! I love how it is so well rounded and includes everything. I really need to do something like this.
    Dancing Branflake recently posted..A Dancer’s Soul

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:13 am

Go for it. The list was actually a lot of fun to create.

• Reply Cate Young (@promiscuouslola) April 4, 2012 at 1:40 pm

This is awesome. I definitely think I want to try this, but I think I’ll try to start after graduation. I don’t have time to start anything new right now. But these are awesome goals! good luck.
    Cate Young (@promiscuouslola) recently posted..365 Photo Challenge: Day #81

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:13 am

Good call. You graduate this May, right? You can have the list as your first step into the professional world.

• Reply Alex Elizabeth April 4, 2012 at 3:49 pm

This is awesome! I hope you can get to them all. I’ve been thinking of doing the 3 in 30 challenge lately because time seems to get away from me with longer-term goals.
    Alex Elizabeth recently posted..A New York Weekend Day

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:12 am

I know what you mean. 30 is not far away and I feel like I need to get on accomplishing some things I’ve always wanted to do. Time is of the essence. HA Let’s see what I can accomplish in the days ahead.

• Reply Molly April 4, 2012 at 8:35 pm

Awesome! You are an inspiration. I’d love to do this as well, but I’m not sure if I’m up to it. All the best!
    Molly recently posted..Yum Yum – Annie’s Bunny Grahams (Gluten-free!)

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:11 am

The nice thing about 101 in 1001 is that you have almost three years to complete the items. The longer time frame makes all of this seem feasible.

• Reply Elly April 5, 2012 at 10:16 am

This is terrific! I’m definitely starting one of my own…1001 days seems like a really nice length of time, long enough that I can put some pretty ambitious things in there without being SO long as to be able to procrastinate for ages like a general life bucket list kind of thing. Thanks for the inspiration!
    Elly recently posted..FBFF: One-Time-Use Outfits?

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:08 am

Excellent. Send me the link when you create your list. I completely agree it is the perfect challenge because it gives you more than a year to work on things, that way you can have both big goals and little things too.

• Reply Amielle April 6, 2012 at 2:50 am

I’ve thought, and started, a list like this, before and now you’ve got me thinking about trying it again, and doing it better this time. Your list looks so varied and quite expansive. Definitely going to be taking notes!

• Reply katyrose April 7, 2012 at 10:06 am

Go for it. It’s a fun personal challenge and yet feels achievable since it is more than a year.

• Reply Whirlwind in Washington, DC April 25, 2012 at 9:35 am

[…] trip also happens to cross off one of the items on my 101 in 1001 list! Yay! #3 – […]

• Reply Rence April 26, 2012 at 5:18 am

Hey Katie,
    let me know which ones you’re planning on crossing off the list this summer and I can help you with them :-) … the ones within my range at least :-)

• Reply katyrose April 27, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Sweet! You and I are going to conquer this list. Are you staying all summer?

• Reply Boston Tourism June 12, 2012 at 8:59 am

[…] of their visit to do the tourist things I have yet to do and to cross a number of things off my 101 in 1001 list! We took a Old Towne Trolley tour around the city (#9) and I ended up learning a lot more about […]

• Reply Newport and Martha’s Vineyard Tourism June 14, 2012 at 9:54 am

[…] The following day we braved the horrible weather and headed to Martha’s Vineyard with the hope that we would get a respite from the spitting rain that had cursed us the entire visit. Of course, we couldn’t find the parking lot since it is located 4 miles from the dock, so we missed the 10:45 passenger boat, needing to take a cargo boat instead. At least that was an adventure. We grabbed Cape Cod chips and drinks from a grocery store, rented bikes and explored the island while riding around. I think we biked at least 25 miles that day and the best part – while it was overcast and chilly most of the day it didn’t rain at all! Plus, in addition to be one of the 1,000 places to see before you die it also happens to be on my 101 in 1001 list! […]

• Reply Elle September 4, 2012 at 3:11 am

I LOVE this idea! I’m definitely going to get started on a list and send it to you. Thanks! XO

• Reply My Goals for 2013 (an FBFF post) January 4, 2013 at 12:03 am

[…] off more items from the 101 in 1001 list. I’m especially going to focus on the things that will enrich me culturally, reading, […]

• Reply Rock Climbing Gear March 12, 2013 at 5:08 am

Living in Vegas, I found this site by following a link from Twitter. Very Glad I did. Nice topic, and great page. Keep up the Excellent Work.

• Reply tanie noclegi zakopane June 12, 2013 at 9:29 am

That means this tool relates better to your needs.
    There isn’t any competition, no options to stock, dispatch or transport.
    tanie noclegi zakopane recently posted..tanie noclegi zakopane

• Reply diet shots June 15, 2013 at 6:32 am

Thank you for another great article. The place else could
    anybody get that kind of information in such a perfect manner of writing?
    I have a presentation next week, and I am on the
    search for such information.
    diet shots recently posted..diet shots

• Reply diet trends June 26, 2013 at 12:29 am

Very good post. I definitely appreciate this site.
    Continue the good work!
    diet trends recently posted..diet trends

• Reply scholarships July 17, 2013 at 6:28 am

I always emailed this blog post page to all my friends, as if like to
    read it afterward my contacts will too.
    scholarships recently posted..scholarships

• Reply Joseph August 24, 2013 at 5:58 am

Hi there just wanted to give you a quick heads up and let you know a few of the pictures aren’t loading correctly. I’m
    not sure why but I think its a linking issue. I’ve tried it in two different web browsers and both show the same results.
    Joseph recently posted..Joseph

• Reply garden design November 27, 2013 at 11:41 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was wondering what all
    is required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would
    cost a pretty penny? I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% positive.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it
    garden design recently posted..garden design

• Reply Modly Chic Roast {Advent Calendar Day 9} | Horrible Housewife December 20, 2013 at 11:10 am

[…] And since we are talking about days of the week… she has one simple motto: If at first you don’t succeed at your 30 by 30 bucket list, create a list of 101 in 1001. […]

• Reply Andrew June 25, 2014 at 12:30 am

wonderful submit, very informative. I’m wondering why the other experts of this sector don’t notice this.

You should continue your writing. I am sure, you have a great readers’ base already!
    Andrew recently posted..Andrew

• Reply mikołajki, noclegi, apartamenty September 17, 2014 at 3:37 am

Your are your excellent internet marketer. The internet site reloading speed is actually amazing. Them kind of senses you’re undertaking any exclusive trick. Also, Your items will be masterwork. you have completed an incredible practice during this issue!

• Reply Restauracja September 17, 2014 at 12:17 pm

Fajne miejsce na wypoczynek restauracja

• Reply t-fal tefal September 25, 2014 at 8:57 am

Today, I went to the beachfront with my kids.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and
    said “You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear.” She put the shell to her
    ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but I had
    to tell someone!
    t-fal tefal recently posted..t-fal tefal

• Reply blog April 9, 2015 at 6:26 pm

The i – Phone has quickly become the most adorable phone in the planet
    and withh the newer versions of the phone
    coming up every now and then the sales of the device have really skyrocketed.
    To monitor the heeart rate of an individual is not a sillyy
    thing. 0″you pass through the Village of Santa opening tickling puzzles.
    blog recently posted..blog