A number of magazines and blogs have mentioned lately the one-time use phenomenon. Apparently, style bloggers have gotten a bad reputation for wearing items only once to showcase on their blogs and then never wearing them again. And it isn’t just those of us who have blogs. Celebrities are often pegged with this and we probably each know someone who cannot stand the thought of wearing something more than once. (For another article on this read Arash’s post on the Wear It Once Disease.)
Anyone who is a regular reader of ModlyChic can certainly attest to the fact that I am not a one-time-use girl. Heck, I have a sporadic series called Frequent Flyer that showcases the different ways I’ve worn the same item – the coral dress, the boyfriend blazer, etc… And I’m not alone in that. I’ve featured other bloggers in the series too such as Dress With Courage and Dwelling and Telling. Still, I can see how style bloggers can gain a reputation for being one-time users. If anyone is like me, I don’t post a picture of an outfit that I wore the exact same way. There are other times when pictures don’t turn out thanks to lighting, personal timing, whatever… So some outfits aren’t captured and therefore there are likely to be a few things that look like they have only made one brief appearance in my life.
I figured this was the perfect topic for an FBFF post. So here goes…
1. Are you a one-time wearer? No. Not at all. Its my personal philosophy to not purchase or own anything that cannot be worn multiple ways for a variety of occasions. (Ok I admit that I did wear the dress my sister picked out for her bridesmaids only once. But seriously who re-wears those awful creations more than on the day of? Lucky you, if you managed to get a re-wearable dress.)
2. Do you feel the need to purchase something new for an evening out or a special event? Sure, sometimes I do. I worry about what I’m wearing to an event like a blogger conference or one of my BostonBloggers social mixers. Sometimes I’ll purchase something new, but more often I try to shop my closet and find ways of working with what I have. Other times I’ll start with something I own and add a new accessory or accent to make it more unique and original. And to be honest, I very rarely buy something entirely new for a bog event.
3. Re-mixing is something a lot of bloggers are proud of being able to accomplish – are you a re-mixing pro or do you shy away from posting items frequently? Why? I don’t know about being a pro. I’ll leave that title to Kendi. But I do remix frequently. I don’t have a large closet and I certainly don’t have an endless budget. I like to remix and try new combinations. Anybody can buy something new from the store for an event. It takes a little more creativity to look through what you have and see a new look in the old purchases. I like that challenge. I like standing in my closet and looking at whats before me and thinking of all the different combinations I could make. Sometimes they flop, other times I love them. It’s all a bit of a game.
4. Do you have a clothing budget or are you an impulse buyer? I try to stick to a bit of a budget. But as my mother will attest, I am not very good at that. I’ve gotten better over the last 9 months. Still I’m not usually an impulse clothing buyer. Impulse coffee – now that is a whole other matter. I try to look at my closet at the beginning of each season and take inventory. I make a list of things I need to replace, items I’d like to add to freshen up my wardrobe and a few wish-list items. From there the shopping begins. Sometimes I do it all at once. Other times I linger, window shopping until I find pieces I adore.
5. Do you find yourself bored when reading a blog in which clothing items are often remixed and appear frequently? Not at all. I like reading a blog and noticing something re-worn. For me it is like a puzzle and it’s reassuring to see that other bloggers are also budget-conscience. Plus, there will always be those couple items that you just love and feel the need to put on often. Those should make frequent appearances on your blog since they make frequent appearances in your life.
Fess up! What is the one-time-use item sitting in your closet right now? Can you think of a way to wear it in the next 3 months?