Last Tuesday was the season finale of Jane By Design. For the first time since I was obsessed with ER, I managed to watch the whole season in a non-Netflix marathon fashion. As the season progressed, I found myself taking inspiration from the outfits Jane wore in each episode. For instance, I was inspired to wear my cobalt blue dress with a cropped emerald-colored jacket because of an outfit she worn in one of the first episodes. It’s still one of my favorite recent looks. And I went a little Polyvore crazy re-inventing Jane’s looks with my own personal flare. Now I need to wait for the summer to get eight more episodes of fun fashion and adorable high school relationships. In the meantime, I’ve gleaned inspiration from the show that I hope to incorporate into future outfits and spring purchases. (pic from ABC Family)
Fashion Inspiration from Jane By Design:
- The power of black tights. In at least half the episodes Jane pairs every skirt/dress outfit with a pair of thick black tights. This basic fashion accessory really helped her whole outfit stand out more significantly.
- Color blocking – just do it. A good portion of Jane’s outfits were colorful combinations that took the color blocking trend and really worked it.
- Break some rules. Some ‘fashion’ rules are meant to be broken with purpose. In one episode Jane combines an orange/black butterfly shirt with a cobalt blue skirt and a pink belt. Usually a no-no combination, but it worked.
- Experiment. I love how in a couple episodes she gets negative comments about the things she is wearing. She is experimenting with fashion and as with all experiments there are some failed attempts and some amazing successes.
- Run in heels. It was almost comical to see Jane running from place to place in high heels. But she proved that women can more around in heels and they really complete the look.
- Statement accessories are a must. I’d gladly raid Jane’s collection of jewelry. She has some amazing rings and stunning necklaces.
- Use a jacket to add structure and interest. I’m a jacket girl. I admit it. But the jackets Jane wears are excellent versatile pieces. She’s got one from Bebe and Express and Theory and Chanel and Illia and…
- Tuck your shirt in. For a long time shirts have been untucked, but Jane has most of hers tucked in and then bloused out. It makes me want to reach for flowy shirts to tuck into pencil skirts.
Do you get any of your fashion inspiration from TV shows?