After watching/reading all the New York Fashion Week coverage I realized there is a whole lot of technology that goes into making a bloggers life possible. In this world of instant communication and expectations of more information, quicker, better, faster – a blogger has a huge and often daunting task of staying on top of everything. Technology is the key. This week’s Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday questions focus on this subject.
1. What are the tools you use to blog? I don’t think people realize how much goes into blogging. It is more than just a girl and her computer – way more! Here’s what I use in order to create ModlyChic.
- MacBook Pro – It’s almost 4 years old now, so it is literally on its last leg. But it works and I am going to milk it for every minute I can get out of it.
- iPhone – Forget the phone feature. I use this for email, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, FourSquare, Texting and everything else in between.
- Canon Powershot SX130 – The ‘fashion bloggers camera’ – this takes up to 10 shots in a row using the timer!
- Word – I need someplace to write posts.
- iPhoto – This is where I store all the photos I take
- Photoshop – Photo cropping, sizing, tweaking and framing all happens with this handy program.
- iCalendar – how I keep track of upcoming events.
- iTunes – Gotta have the tunes going while I write posts and work with photos.
- WordPress – Switched from blogger a little over a year ago and would never go back. It’s s darn easy to use.
- Twitter – My favorite form of social media and the easiest way to connect with other bloggers.
- Facebook – I keep my blog page updated, but use this mostly to connect with family and friends.
- Instagram – Probably the number one reason I purchased an iPhone instead of another Droid product.
- Pose – Occasionally upload photos of outfit details that I like.
- Triberr – My use has highly diminished from several months ago, but it is still a great way to support fellow bloggers.
- Pinterest – I’m not a huge pinner but I do pin when I see something I’d really like to remember.
- Polyvore – More and more I find myself heading here to make collages and outfit inspiration posts.
- Stumble Upon – I use it t find inspiration and promote inspiration.
- Gorilla pod – My tripod of choice, although it is not fool proof. It did drop a previous camera of mine. BOO
- Batteries – yeah, my camera is kinda old-school like that and it runs on batteries.
- External hard drive – Where I store all my documents.
- Desk calendar – This is how I track my posts and create my editorial calendar.
2. What technology item is on your wish-list? A new MacBook is certainly high on the list, as is an iPad. I think life would be a lot easier with an iPad to tweet and post from. *sigh* someday. Maybe.
3. Through the barrage of posts, tweets, pics, poses, messages, etc… how do you avoid becoming a slave to the constant infiltration of information? I find this happens to me a lot more often than I would like to admit. I hate the thought of being tied to my phone for every tweet and email but that is exactly what happens to me. Once a year I go for a week without the use of any technology. It helps me restart my system and re-prioritize what is really important and what isn’t. I now try not to check my emails/tweets/comments as soon as I wake up each morning and before going to bed at night. Instead I cut myself off around 10 at night and don’t pick it back up until after I’ve gotten ready for the day and had my breakfast. I’m a lot happier and, oddly enough, more effective that way too.
Whether you are a blogger or not what is the piece of technology that you couldn’t live without?