So we begin the first Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday of 2012! Welcome to those new to the group and the new readers.
This week we are looking at new trends. What we’re loving, how we work the items into our closets, what we don’t like, etc…
1. With Fashion week just around the corner, we are all beginning to focus on the upcoming trends for fall. But what about the trends hitting stores now? What are you coveting? In a word – COBALT. No, but seriously, I think there isn’t a thing in cobalt that I don’t want to take home with me the moment I see it. I need to hold back. The color is just so fun and, the best part, it’s also super flattering on! I am also loving all the neon colors, especially yellow even if I can’t wear that at all. I’m also thrilled to see that color blocking is sticking around. I haven’t really delved into that trend out of fear, but I’m ready to give is a whirl.
2. How do you incorporate new trends into your wardrobe? I think the best way to bring in new trends is through accessories and a couple great versatile pieces. It’s so easy to jump on a trend bandwagon, buy a ton of something and then be stuff with a closet of things that are out of season a couple months later. Better to be thoughtful about the new trends. For instance, I’m thinking of grabbing a pair of neon heels – they would be wearable later for some fun event and will help me bring the trend into my closet.
3. What trend are you seeing and not loving? The pleated skirts that are short in the front and long in the front. Sorry I just don’t get that. What are we doing? Is it long? Is it short? Who knows!?
4. Do you feel the pressure to constantly update your closet with the latest trends? As a blogger I think I feel the pressure to update. But I am also trying hard to live a budget. So that had meant being very careful about my purchases. I thought the budget would be restricting but I find it fairly liberating. Because now I really think through a purchase before it is made – that means I have to really love the item I am considering. If I don’t absolutely love it, it does not come home with me.
5. Where do you find inspiration that takes the trend and makes it accessible to you and your personal taste? Other bloggers, of course, and store windows. I stay away from magazines because I like to get inspiration from real life. How many times have you looked at a model on TV or in a magazine and coveted what they had on and then tried it for yourself only to find it is horrible?! At least grabbing inspiration from bloggers gives you the chance to see the same trend on different body types to see if it will really work for you.