The incongruity of photos

I’ve mentioned this before, but I do find it very interesting that sometimes our personal opinion of an outfit doesn’t match the photographic evidence. What I find the most interesting is when others love the look too but it still looks funky in photos.

This red sweater is a new favorite. It’s just so comfortable and easy to wear. I love it mixed with a great pair of fitted jeans and a pair of heels. But then I look at these photos and I’m not loving it so much. But the most interesting thing about it all, is that several friends commented on the sweater in the affirmative. One mentioned I looked like a model – ha, not true. But another mentioned I needed to stop being so stylish – HA!

So perhaps the photos aren’t the be-all, end-all of outfit decisions. Afterall so much goes into a good photo – the setting, the lighting, the focus. And for bloggers who take their own pics it is even harder to get a really good one.

Tip: Sometimes you have to go with your gut. If you like it and feel good in it than it’s usually worth wearing.

Jeans: New York & Co.
Sweater: Target
Cami: Express
Boots: DSW
Headwrap: made from Target scarf

Katy Rose

11 thoughts on “The incongruity of photos

1. Nanne

I don’t take outfit photos (yet), but I remember you mentioning this in another post. Interesting, and a little strange! Personally I think you look great in the sweater in the photo. Have you noticed if there’s a particular kind of clothes that don’t look as good in photos as they do “live”? Like the sweater that you’re wearing in this picture probably moves around your body in a way that a photo can’t capture? Have you ever experienced the opposite – that an outfit or a garment that you don’t think look so great IRL looks fantastic in a photo? But I agree with you on going with your gut feeling, it’s usually never wrong! Have a great Sunday!
    Nanne recently posted..Weekend Reading

2. Katie

YES! This happens to me all the time! I always find it so funny that an outfit that I am not particularly fond of gets a lot of positive comments (both on blog and off blog) / an outfit I love photographs so terribly!
    Katie recently posted..Sweatshirt Fancy

3. Anne @ The Frump Factor

I do think there is something about translating the 3-D of reality into a flat plane that distorts things. The fluidity and movement of the clothes are not captured — I wonder if that’s a key factor with that particular item? If you’re getting compliments in the real world, I think that’s the key!
    Anne @ The Frump Factor recently posted..Still here! Almost.

4. noelani

I like the sweater. It’s fashion forward. Looks comfy too, so extra point there. I find my mood most often dictates how an outfit looks. If I am in a funk, it translates into what I am wearing, regardless of how fun it may be. I can’t hide my feelings and they can overshadow even the best of looks for me. So continue to wear it and rock it, because if it makes you happy you will look fabulous in it.
    noelani recently posted..MPCC Styles Louis

5. Kristen

Oh, this happens to me all the time. I’ll think the outfit looks great and then the photos are..not as great. Then I wonder, is it my lack of photography prowess? Or did I walk around all day in a non-great outfit and not know it??
    Kristen recently posted..How to Wear Leggings

6. tammy @ silverstyle

You look perfect. I like to look back at my photos just to remind me “what not to wear”!
    I’m not very photogenic so it was really hard for me to start blogging. Now, I really don’t mind.
    Just stand up straight, suck it in and smile baby smile!
    Have a good week!
    tammy @ silverstyle recently posted..Scarves Are Us

7. Meesh

Ha, I know exactly what you mean. It’s that moment when you load all your photos on the computer and then remark to yourself, “Well, that certainly didn’t look as good as I thought!” Helps to remember that 2D still photos really aren’t representative of what anyone looks like in person, though.

Regardless, that really is a great sweater!
    Meesh recently posted..friend friday: book edition

8. Amber

Oh, I hear you on this… I find that some outfits just look totally different on camera: sometimes for better, but more often for worse, in my case!

This sweater is lovely in the photos, though, so if it’s even nicer in real life, even better!
    Amber recently posted..The Worst Witch

9. triskelos

I have the same bizzare thing too. Sometimes I can wear something all day, feel fabulous in it and then look at some picture and change my mind. But I always tell myself that it’s all about feeling confident and pretty))
    I love this sweater too – such a great comfy piece, and also the color is amazing. I love to wear oversized tops with fitted jeans and heels too) And I think you look really stylish. So yes, listen to your gut)

triskelos recently posted..{outfit post – a little bit gipsy}