Friend Friday: Open a Book

November is National Novel Writing Month or NaNoWriMo as it’s commonly abbreviated. If you are a long-time reader of this blog, you know I tried my hand an indie publishing earlier this year when I posted my first young adult novel Aurora Undefined on Amazon and Barnes and Noble for download. After the success of that first attempt, I’m gunning for a second novel – but man that takes serious time and commitment. This month, for many is the start and end of their novel. They begin writing on the first and work feverishly until the 30th, when they hopefully have a completed first draft. I’m not delusional enough to think I could pen out an entire novel in a month, not while working, freelancing and blogging, but I’m using this month to spurn me on to complete the book I started this summer while in California. (Want to follow along on my NaNoWriMo adventure? Follow my book blog.)

That motivation and personal goal got me thinking… what is everyone else reading? What do you recommend? What should I pick up asap? So this week’s Friend Friday is veering off the fashion track and focusing instead on the well-rounded – what’s on your book shelf?

My top 5 favorite books of all time:

1. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy. I know, it’s a huge Russian novel and yeah, it is filled with information about agriculture that seems pointless. But this novel is seriously one of the best at depicting the choices we make and how they influence out entire lives – the good and the bad.
  2. A Ring of Endless Light by Madeleine L’Engle. This is by far my favorite classic young adult novel; and it is still as great today as it was at 15. L’Engle is a genius at crafting stories and characters you fall in love with. This story is about first love, loss, family and growing up. If I write a hundred novels in my lifetime I hope one of them is as powerful as this book.
  3. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. I’m a big fan of dark novels. (dark movies too for that matter.) This book is the ultimate in dark haunting romance. It’s about a love that can never be and still defies all laws of nature. It’s twisted and wonderful.
  4. The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson. This is a non-fiction book, not my usual reading interest. But the setting of Chicago’s World Fair caught my interest. And a serial killer with a mind so cunning it makes a great book years later.
  5. To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. A book written from the perspective of a little girl about race relations and family problems. This is so well written, profound and yet ultimately simple. The movie is great too – old school Gregory Peck is amazing.

The 5 Most Recent Books I’ve Read and Loved:

1. Danger in the Shadows by Dee Henderson. I dare you to pick up this book and not enjoy it. Seriously every single person I’ve suggested it to has read it in less than a week. The suspense and mystery pulls you in. The romance is sweet.
  2. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. This series is seriously hands-down the best young adult novel I’ve read in a long, long time. It has a kick-ass female lead, a great plot, a suspenseful plot that pulls you in. It’s becoming a movie too – so if you missed this book read it before it hits the silver screen.
  3. Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer. While I didn’t find the rest of the series as entertaining of engaging – this first book is gripping. A meteor hits the moon and the aftereffects are catastrophic. The strong female lead steps up and takes care of her entire family through the entire tragedy.
  4. So Over You by Gwen Hayes. A great ebook – one of the best I’ve stumbled across. It combines everything I love… high school drama, the school newspaper, best friends now archenemies who become love interests, a challenge that she can’t turn down. I would have loved to have come up with this story on my own.
  5. Camille by Tess Oliver. Another great ebook and independent author! It’s a paranormal romance and again with a strong female character. (Can you tell I like the girls who get stuff done?)

Katy Rose
Filed In: FBFF , Friend Friday

42 thoughts on “Friend Friday: Open a Book

1. winda tiodang

i am a new fashion blogger from indonesia living in singapore :) i really like your blog. i will really reaaally appreciate & it will be an honor to have u as my blog member.

and of course i will folback!!! 😀 also, u can mention me anytime on twitter @tiodang if you want me to check out your latest post & leave a comment ^^
i’ve just recommend your post to google!u can check it! that’s what u got if you keep in touch with my blog too!! hope u will do the same ^^

2. Rebekah

Four some reason, I could only think of four favorites. Either I’m too picky, or I need to read more. Methinks it’s a little bit of both.

I need to start reading Madeleine L’Engle again. My dad read us some of those books when we were little (A Wrinkle in Time, Many Waters, etc.), and I do remember them being very good.
    Rebekah recently posted..My Five…er…Four Favorite Books

3. Kasmira

Thanks for the recos! I reserved the audiobook version of Life as We Knew It. I’m a sucker for post-apocalyptic fiction! (And audiobooks are my new crack. They get me through all my workouts.)
    Kasmira recently posted..Brigadoon

4. Pingback: Fashion Beauty Friend Friday | For Those About To Shop

5. Peach

i LOVE the hunger games. i rolled my eyes at my friends reading YA books, then i picked it up and couldn’t put it down! i’m currently on the last one 😉

6. Pingback: FBFF: What Are You Reading? « Ruby Bastille

7. Pingback: {FBFF} It’s cool to read « A Little Petite

8. Pingback: FBFF: Favourite Books

9. Pingback: FBFF: National Novel Month | Urban Bedou Girl

10. Cortney

I absolutely love Wuthering Heights. I read it for a class and was absolutely surprised at how many people did not like it at all. I’m working my way through Anna Karenina right now! :) Russian literature hold a large piece of my heart. :)

I tend to love YA Lit, and The Hunger Games was pretty good. I do love a good dystopian, and the commentary on reality tv, plastic surgery, and our society’s love of violence is definitely some great food for thought. :) The first two books were amazing, but I wasn’t as fond of the third (though I understand why Collins made the choices she did).
    Cortney recently posted..FBFF: Five Favorite Books

11. Lisa Bernardini

I am reading Daughter of Smoke and Bone–also young adult fiction. Heroine is an art student in Prague with magical powers. Great writing!

12. Pingback: Favorite Books « 14 Shades Of Grey

13. CC

I read Danger in the Shadows several years ago and loved it!! Have you read the rest of the series? It is the prequel to an entire series of books that are just as amazing. Dee Henderson also has a couple of other series that are awesome. She is an excellent writer and definitely one of my faves.
    CC recently posted..FBFF: Books

14. Pingback: Friend Friday – Books to Read….. | a fashionable life for me

15. a fashionable life for me

My favourite type of post! I love not just reading but getting recommendations! I will be adding new authors to my list of books to read. Can’t wait to see what everyone loves.
    Katy I’ve read just 3 of your favourites and only 1 of your recent reads. I had to study Wuthering Heights in school and adored it.I must read it as an adult now!
    a fashionable life for me recently posted..Friend Friday – Books to Read…..

16. Shea

I loved the topic, and I can’t wait to add everyone’s must-reads to my “to read” list. And I’m reading Hunger Games right now, and I’m loving it as well.
    Shea recently posted..Turning Pages

17. Pingback: Break | Literature & Lace

18. Shon

Hmm, so I thought that I did this already last week? Please forgive me, I am new to blogging and still trying to find my way. So, I did post my top 5 books, why the post did not link up? Question of the week. I’ll keep trying. Thank you!
    Shon recently posted..Hello: My Name is Sarah

19. Pingback: FBFF Friend Friday: Open a book @ Oh, Say Can You Say?

20. KursuAnna

Предоставляем уникальную возможность освоить все тонкости своей профессии под руководством профессиональных лекторов!
    Получить новые знания, умения и навыки в направлении “Строительство”.
    Полный перечень курсов, тренингов и семинаров на 2014 год смотрите на сайте http://www.kursbud.com.ua