The Best Advice I Ever Received

After soaking in all the words of wisdom at the IFB Conference last week, mulling them over and making some implementation plans I started thinking about other pieces of advice I’d been given over the years and how they have impacted me for the better. This post may also have to do in part with the nostalgia of turning another year older today. Who knows??? Either way welcome to another Friday and another installment of Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday.

• You can’t be anything you want to be. My dad imparted this little nugget when I was still in high school. At the time I was adamantly opposed to the idea and balked at even the suggestion that I couldn’t be anything and anyone I wanted to be. He suggested books for me to read on the matter. I scoffed. But when I entered college I realized he is right. I might want to be the next Kelly Clarkson but without that God-given vocal talent I’m not going to make it to the first round of judges. Sure practice, hard work and dedication play a part but it isn’t enough. Instead we should be focused on our natural aptitudes – the things we were born good at and will continue to be good at. Identifying those is sometimes the harder part.
  • True friendship is wanting the best for the other person without regard for yourself. My high school advisor taught me that. At the time I had just lost a friend to the cool group and she had the audacity to suggest that maybe I could be a true friend by being happy for her – perhaps these new friends were exactly what she needed in the moment. Ouch. I don’t know whether she needed those friends or not, but what I do know is that the mantra has stuck with me and has helped me countless times over the past 10 years.
  • The work of the home is a true profession if it is seen as such. My mother taught me this day in and day out while I grew up. The household chores – the laundry, the meals, the carpools – were not just one more thing on a list of must-dos. It was her job and she was going to do it to the best of her ability, giving her all. As a result I wound up with adorable home-made Halloween costumes every year and good sit-down dinner every night.
  • It’s all about Love. Everything else is a footnote. This was the one and only line I ever took away from a class in college. I was taking the Philosophy of Beauty taught by an adorable old Jesuit priest. He could talk for an entire hour about the beauty in the rustling of the leaves outside – but this was the one phrase he repeated several times; and I couldn’t agree more.
  • Hold your head up Girl, you’re beautiful. A man driving by yelled this to me as I walked down the sidewalk. His few short words summed up everything I was trying to teach the fashion clubs I ran and address on ModlyChic. It doesn’t matter if we’ve got disproportionate features, funky taste in clothing, a short torso, big ears, whatever… we’re beautiful – each and everyone of us. We were made beautiful and we should hold our head up and carry ourselves in a way that declares that to the world.

I’d love to hear your words of wisdom. Got one to share? Leave it in the comments below!

Katy Rose

40 thoughts on “The Best Advice I Ever Received

1. Lauren

Love that advice about true friendship. It really is important to care about the other person and not just be selfish with what they are doing and what they want. A lot of my good friends and I don’t see each other often, and of course while we would both like more time with the other one, we understand that each person has a busy schedule and we value the time we do see each other when it works out. It’s always important to support each other’s decisions, regardless of if you believe in them or not. Support and pick up the pieces when needed.

Lauren
    Lauren recently posted..Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: FBFF

2. Pingback: FBFF: Pearls of Wisdom « Ruby Bastille

3. MJ

Happy Birthday fellow virgo?!

I loved these little nuggets of wisdom, especially the first one. I’m kind of having that talk with my little sister right now. It’s true that you can be anything you want to be but that doesn’t automatically guarantee that you will a. be good at it and b. love doing it. Awesome advice!
    MJ recently posted..Leaving for the Blogger Brilliance Conference

4. Laura

Some really important words of wisdom there! I particularly loved the last two, and especially the fact that you actually heard a positive message from a random driver-by. Usually the things shouted aren’t considered great advice. :)
    Laura recently posted..When bloggers mingle

5. Jess

I read your comment about friendship and it completely turned me around with regards to some friendship struggles I have been having.

Thank you so much.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Jess – Glad to hear that. It’s pretty powerful right? It really helps to put everything in the right perspective.

6. Christine

Long time lurker, first time commenter. I just wanted to say that I really loved this post & that those short & sweet pieces of advice really made me think :-). And happy b-day :D!

1. katy_rose1 Post author

So glad you are out of lurker mode. Love your comment and glad you liked the post. Feel free to comment more often. 😉

7. Sharon

I think this was a great topic, Katy! Really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts and the words that have shaped their lives. Hope you have a great birthday!

8. Pingback: friendly Friday: advisory « the life academic

9. Pingback: Parental Advice « Pretty Quirky Pants

10. Lauren

The best bit of advice is something from my family. No one quite knows where it comes from; it’s just something we all live by. The advice is this: Use what ya got ’til you get what you want.

11. Jamillah

I nearly cried reading this guy: The work of the home is a true profession if it is seen as such.

My recent favorite sage bit is, “there’s not a little you in everyone.” Which is just another way to say that if you want to be understood you have to say something and without the expectation that they’ll completely understand where you are.

My all time favorite is from my mom. She says, “you can’t make a stone bleed,” she told me this sometime in high school. Some people are just who they are and you can’t make them think or do things they’re just not and that’s just fine.

Really fantastic topic.
    Jamillah recently posted..What I Wore-Going Gatsby

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Jamillah – Isn’t that one just great?! My mom is such an inspiration, even if I never become a homemaker she is someone to emulate. Hoping to see you later this month!

12. Metsy

Great list… Here’s one of mine: “Feel the fear and do it anyway.” I fight anxiety and have to remind myself that I don’t have to ignore the fear… I just need to prevent the fear from stopping me. :)

13. Pingback: FBFF Friend Friday: Good advice @ Oh, Say Can You Say?

14. Pingback: Parental Advice | Pretty Quirky Pants

15. Pingback: Friend Friday: Words of Wisdom, Thanks Dad! (And George Carlin) – Not Dead Yet Style Test 1

16. Pingback: Friend Friday: Words of Wisdom, Thanks Dad! (And George Carlin) – NotDeadYetStyle

17. Pingback: Friend Friday: Words of Wisdom, Thanks Dad! (And George Carlin) – Not Dead Yet Style