Fall 2011 Fashion Trends

With the start of the school year, the beginning of my birthday month and the cooling of the temperatures I can’t help but look at the upcoming fall trends. Oh and there is the little fact that I am heading to New York on Tuesday for the IFB Conference, my StrandedBlogger event, Fashion’s Night Out, and the ModCloth/Swapaholics Blogger-extravaganza swap party! (Can you tell I am a little excited?) There are so many great fashion and beauty trends that I’m looking forward to wearing; and I’m especially excited to remix the things already in my closet – freshening them up for the cooler months.

Here’s my top picks for the Fall 2011 Fashion Trends. And since bloggers are so often the first to rock a trend, this one’s illustrated with pics from some of my favorite style bloggers.

Top 15 Fall Fashion Trends 2011:

• Polka Dots. Not that this is a new love for me, but I love that polka dots are coming in with such vengeance this season. They are on skirts, dresses, tops, shoes, scarves, everywhere. This polka dot dress I scored at a swap is going to come in handy. (pic from The Coveted.)

• Gem Tones. The Pantone colors for Fall 2011 are superb, so many of them are gem tones and are very flattering on a number of skin tones. The deep teal and phlox are some of my favorites.

• Colored Pants.I’ve been loving all the colored jeans that are popping up all over. And while I haven’t managed to buy a pair of my own yet… I’m on the look out for a great pair of red or orange pants at the local thrift shops.  (pic from TokyoBlondes)
  • Poncho/Cape. I’m kicking myself for not grabbing up a poncho at the end of last season. They had this adorable one at LOFT last winter that was selling for a steal in the early spring. But I didn’t and now the trend is back and better than ever. (Pic from MyStylePill.)

• Leather skirts. There are some amazingly bold bloggers who have been rocking leather shorts this summer… not sure I can pull those off, but I’m loving the leather skirts. Oh and this gives me another great excuse to wear the red leather skirt I picked up for $13 at the local GoodWill.

• Fur. The fur vests from last season are back again and in new form. The faux fur jackets, vests, scarves, etc… are going to be exploding on the scene. I’m excited about the leopard vest I picked up last year at Forver21.
  • Laced-up Heels. Forget buckles and exposed zippers. This season it is all about lacing. Laced-up heels, womens leather boots, shoes… it’s a lot of great lacing pieces. (Pic from Court & Hudson)

• Animal Print. It’s been in all summer and it doesn’t look like the animal print trend is going away. Sure, we’ll be winterizing the look but jungle fever is here for another go round. (Pic Jenny From the Block.)

• Clutch. Forget your purse, hobo bag, satchel, etc.. it’s all about adorable clutch purses this season. Small, large, patterned, leather, colorful, solid…. anything, everything. (Pic from Style’N Naina)

• Red Lips. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to wear this trend myself. But I love it on others. (pic from Sea of Shoes.)

• Pencil Skirts. Perhaps it is a result of the Mad Men persuasion, but I welcome whatever is bringing in this ultra feminine work place-inspired attire. (pic from Pencil Skirts and Lattes.)

•  Chunky Statement Necklace. The bigger, the bolder, the better. If it is colorful, shiny and a little gaudy – it is in this fall! (Pic from Saucy Glossie.)

• Bright eyes and nails. We are still keeping with the bold nail colors and now that is spreading to the eyeshadow colors. Orange, yellow, bright blue, purple, green… it’s all there.
  • Platform and wedge shoes. The wedge was the summer sensation. I certainly wore my fair share. Revise the look a little, add more of a platform and you’ve got the fall look.
  • Long Braided/Twisted Hair. It never fails. When I cut my hair short I suddenly see SO many great amazing long-haired styles and bloggers. So then I want to grow my hair out again. Perhaps I’ll do a style challenge and not cut my hair for a year or two to get long luscious locks. Hair like The Blonde Bedhead, or Eat.Sleep.Wear, or Saucy Glossie or Style’N Naina… ok the list goes on and on. (Pic from Orchid Grey.)

Stay tuned for posts on ways to winterize your summer favorites and the must buys to update your wardrobe to make it fall ready….

And check out other bloggers thoughts on the Fall 2011 Fashion Trends for this week’s Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday.

Katy Rose

95 thoughts on “Fall 2011 Fashion Trends

1. Pingback: The Quirky Martini » Five Autumn Trends to Covet

1. katy_rose1 Post author

The longer hem lines are exciting for me too. I avoid the mini-skirts like the plague, which often makes shopping difficult. The added options are great.

2. rachel@A Little Bit of Ray

You went above and beyond! I love all off these. I agree, any time I chop my hair off(I currently have a pixie too) I find loads of amazing long hair and it makes me miss it. I swear Mad Men is dominating the style this fall or could it be The Help is inspiring fashion too?
    rachel@A Little Bit of Ray recently posted..FBFF:Fall Trends

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Why is it that I always waver back and forth between long and short hair but I never have the patience to wait long enough to truly grow my hair out? I’m seriously thinking about doing a personal growing out challenge.

3. Anja

Your trends are on the spot and you are so right! I got several of them in my list as well :) Loving polka dots, Capes, colored pants and perncil skirts the most!And bright nail polish will never go out of style for me.
    Anja recently posted..FBFF – Fall Trends

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I like these posts too; especially since it allows me to think about transitioning over my wardrobe and how to best do that.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I do the same exact thing. I always want it long, but can’t wait long enough to grow it out. I get it to my shoulder and then I chop it off all over again.

4. Rebekah

Hey we had some of the same ones–polka dots, leather skirts, and red lips!

Funny-ish story about ponchos. My dad-in-law got me one for Christmas, and I was like…really? A poncho? But then I started seeing them around and now they’re really trendy again. He was ahead of the times! He also picked out my sister-in-law’s wedding dress, so I guess I shouldn’t be surprised he has an eye for fashion.
    Rebekah recently posted..My Five Favorite Fall Trends

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I’m impressed! It sounds like you have one amazing ‘in-the-know’ father-in-law. My dad wouldn’t know a poncho from a raincoat. LOL

5. Kirstin Marie

I love that you chose other bloggers for your photos! That’s a brilliant idea. I am so excited for so many of the trends this season. I just need it to cool down in FLA to sport them!

I so wish I could go to NYC this time! I hope you have an absolutely amazing time!!! I can’t wait to see your pictures!

6. Sheila

Thanks for the list. I love polka dots and animal prints so those are covered now. I’ve put a big check right next to the Long Braided/Twisted Hair. Good thing I haven’t gone to the salon yet.
    Sheila recently posted..CNA Training

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Do us both the favor and don’t chop off all your hair. I’m jealous of those already with long flowing hair who can rock these trends.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

HA! My list is a little long too. I’m going to try and be smart about the way I spend money on the new trends. I’m thinking all thrift store purchases this season.

7. STYLE'N

Katy,
    Wow this is such an informative and comprehensive post. I just love how you added photos from other blogs and so flattered you included me on this list. I am so excited for polka dots (in fact wearing a polka dot scarf today!), pencil skirts which are perfect for work too, and of course clutches!!!! Really nice job with this post.
    Naina

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I’m loving the looks you’ve been wearing lately – especially this one! And the polka dots trend is calling to me from every clothing type.

8. Pretty Quirky Pants

Love the trend round up, I’ve definitely covered 8 of the 15 listed in this seasons shopping 😉
    Personally I’ve always loved polka dots, coloured jeans, bright nails and laced up shoes – the surprising thing for me to start taking a liking to is fur and animal print (NEVER thought this would happen >_<")
    I suppose this is why we should keep open minds!
    Pretty Quirky Pants recently posted..Changing Seasons: How To – Wear Layers?

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I managed to grab a great pair of colored jeans this weekend from a thrift store. It’s the one trend I’ve really been watching and trying to score. I can’t wait to wear all the other trends too.

9. Pingback: FBFF: Favorite 2011 Fall Trends | Urban Bedou Girl

10. Pingback: How I'm wearing my favorite fall trends for 2011 | Fashion advice from The Closet Coach

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Good luck. I managed to grab a great pair of green skinny jeans this weekend for a couple bucks at a thrift shop. You’ll find a great pair too.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I’m thinking of a personal hair-growing challenge for the next year to get over the hump of that random gross grow-out length.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

So true. And the capes were this winter and last winter. I appreciate trends that can last more than one season. It means my wardrobe lasts longer too.

11. Nina

Wow, you did such a great job rounding up these trends! (I love all the images too!) Most of these are what I was channeling last fall but I’m definitely going to branch out and start carrying a clutch, wearing pencil skirts and more red lipstick!

See you in NYC!
    x

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Looking forward to seeing you in NYC too. Maybe I’ll have to be bold enough to try the red lips for that event!

12. Pingback: friendly Friday: Falling in « the life academic

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Aww.. thanks Sherry! I’m glad you appreciate the community and feel so connected to it. That’s always nice for me to hear.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I’m telling you – Goodwill is THE place! There were a number of amazing leather skirts at the one I checked out last winter.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Hmmm.. jeweltones, pencil skirts, animal print and clutches… you are giving me some crazy fun combination ideas with that. Let’s see what the fall months bring.

13. Pingback: Fashion Beauty Friend Friday: Fall Trends « Ruby Bastille

14. Barbara Bradley

Modlychic, you did a better job of picking the top fall trends than many so-called professionals in the
    media. You missed velvet and chunky knits. But good job!

15. Pingback: LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUNDUP | Independent Fashion Bloggers

16. Pingback: LINKS À LA MODE: THE IFB WEEKLY ROUNDUP | Bubbling with Elegance and Grace™

17. Pingback: Fashion Fridays: Links á La Mode « woodstockwardrobe

18. Pingback: IFB Weekly Roundup: Links À La Mode « One Outfit at A Time

19. Pingback: Links à la Mode: week of September 8 | Small Town, Big Wardrobe

20. Pingback: Links a la Mode: 9.10.11 | Links | Stylish Thought

21. Pingback: Loving this Links a la Mode List!

22. Pingback: Fun fashion posts for your weekend reading enjoyment | Style Confessions

23. Pingback: Links a La Mode | Fashables

24. Pingback: Lovely Links and LINKS À LA MODE | Sugar and Spice

25. Pingback: | LivLuxMag

26. Pingback: The 5 Items to Buy this Fall to Update Your Wardrobe

27. Pingback: Fashion Fridays: September 8th Links á La Mode « woodstockwardrobe