With the start of the school year, the beginning of my birthday month and the cooling of the temperatures I can’t help but look at the upcoming fall trends. Oh and there is the little fact that I am heading to New York on Tuesday for the IFB Conference, my StrandedBlogger event, Fashion’s Night Out, and the ModCloth/Swapaholics Blogger-extravaganza swap party! (Can you tell I am a little excited?) There are so many great fashion and beauty trends that I’m looking forward to wearing; and I’m especially excited to remix the things already in my closet – freshening them up for the cooler months.
Here’s my top picks for the Fall 2011 Fashion Trends. And since bloggers are so often the first to rock a trend, this one’s illustrated with pics from some of my favorite style bloggers.
Top 15 Fall Fashion Trends 2011:
- Polka Dots. Not that this is a new love for me, but I love that polka dots are coming in with such vengeance this season. They are on skirts, dresses, tops, shoes, scarves, everywhere. This polka dot dress I scored at a swap is going to come in handy. (pic from The Coveted.)
- Gem Tones. The Pantone colors for Fall 2011 are superb, so many of them are gem tones and are very flattering on a number of skin tones. The deep teal and phlox are some of my favorites.
- Colored Pants.I’ve been loving all the colored jeans that are popping up all over. And while I haven’t managed to buy a pair of my own yet… I’m on the look out for a great pair of red or orange pants at the local thrift shops. (pic from TokyoBlondes)
- Poncho/Cape. I’m kicking myself for not grabbing up a poncho at the end of last season. They had this adorable one at LOFT last winter that was selling for a steal in the early spring. But I didn’t and now the trend is back and better than ever. (Pic from MyStylePill.)
- Leather skirts. There are some amazingly bold bloggers who have been rocking leather shorts this summer… not sure I can pull those off, but I’m loving the leather skirts. Oh and this gives me another great excuse to wear the red leather skirt I picked up for $13 at the local GoodWill.
- Fur. The fur vests from last season are back again and in new form. The faux fur jackets, vests, scarves, etc… are going to be exploding on the scene. I’m excited about the leopard vest I picked up last year at Forver21.
- Laced-up Heels. Forget buckles and exposed zippers. This season it is all about lacing. Laced-up heels, womens leather boots, shoes… it’s a lot of great lacing pieces. (Pic from Court & Hudson)
- Animal Print. It’s been in all summer and it doesn’t look like the animal print trend is going away. Sure, we’ll be winterizing the look but jungle fever is here for another go round. (Pic Jenny From the Block.)
- Clutch. Forget your purse, hobo bag, satchel, etc.. it’s all about adorable clutch purses this season. Small, large, patterned, leather, colorful, solid…. anything, everything. (Pic from Style’N Naina)
- Red Lips. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to wear this trend myself. But I love it on others. (pic from Sea of Shoes.)
- Pencil Skirts. Perhaps it is a result of the Mad Men persuasion, but I welcome whatever is bringing in this ultra feminine work place-inspired attire. (pic from Pencil Skirts and Lattes.)
- Chunky Statement Necklace. The bigger, the bolder, the better. If it is colorful, shiny and a little gaudy – it is in this fall! (Pic from Saucy Glossie.)
- Bright eyes and nails. We are still keeping with the bold nail colors and now that is spreading to the eyeshadow colors. Orange, yellow, bright blue, purple, green… it’s all there.
- Platform and wedge shoes. The wedge was the summer sensation. I certainly wore my fair share. Revise the look a little, add more of a platform and you’ve got the fall look.
- Long Braided/Twisted Hair. It never fails. When I cut my hair short I suddenly see SO many great amazing long-haired styles and bloggers. So then I want to grow my hair out again. Perhaps I’ll do a style challenge and not cut my hair for a year or two to get long luscious locks. Hair like The Blonde Bedhead, or Eat.Sleep.Wear, or Saucy Glossie or Style’N Naina… ok the list goes on and on. (Pic from Orchid Grey.)
Stay tuned for posts on ways to winterize your summer favorites and the must buys to update your wardrobe to make it fall ready….
And check out other bloggers thoughts on the Fall 2011 Fashion Trends for this week’s Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday.