Friend Friday: Location Influences Fashion

by katyrose on August 5, 2011

As I was walking the streets of New York City the other weekend and was struck with a sense of nostalgia for the time when I lived there and worked near Times Square, it struck me that the way I dressed then was different from the way I dressed in St. Louis. And that is different from how I dress in Boston. It got me thinking – is there a locational influence on fashion choices? Are we informed by the trends as much as those around us and the atmosphere we live in? This week, we are taking this topic to Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday.

Jazz band in the park

1. What part of the world do you blog from? I currently blog from Boston, but ModlyChic was started in St. Louis. I think it is also worth mentioning that I have spent significant time in Manhattan, Milwaukee and Chicago as well.

2. If you had to describe the overall mode of dress for where you live what would you say? Hmm… I’m not sure Boston has a mode of dress. I live in a very college-central area, so a lot of the people walking around here are jeans and t-shirt types. The bloggers I know here are a world unto their own – but that is to be expected. If I had to pick a phrase, I think I would say, ‘fashionably reserved.’ Bostonians aren’t Manhattanites but they do have a sense of style and some serious flare.

3. Do you fit in with the status quo around you or do you break the mold? I suppose that depends who I am out with. Out with friends I probably break the mold. Out with bloggers here I’m probably one of the more reserved bloggers. In St. Louis I totally broke the mold there! I got looks when I went out most places.

4. If you have lived or traveled to another part of the country/world did your clothing choices evolve? Completely. When I moved to New York from Milwaukee I was dressing like a typical mid-western college student. Then after a year in New York the fashion everywhere gets under your skin and you become one with it. I started walking all over the city in heels, dressing up more, losing weight… it’s all part of the place. In St. Louis I had to tone down some of my fashion choices so as not to catch the looks. And now in Boston I care less about the looks and am able to do what I want.

5. If you had to describe your style by naming a specific city, what would you be? I’d like to be Manhattan, but I’m probably more San Francisco or Austin. I dunno. What would you say I am???

Mandy at Life in the Fashion Lane August 5, 2011 at 1:28 am

I love that you have lived in so many different places. This was a fun FBFF to answer! I am not sure what city to classify you! I do agree you are more conservative.

Chiara August 5, 2011 at 2:58 am

I liked this week’s questions because they were not easy to answer, and made me think!

Paula August 5, 2011 at 4:28 am

I loved filling this out. I too have lived A LOT of places! Cant wait to read everyones answers

Cortney August 5, 2011 at 4:33 am

It’s interesting to read how style changes depending on where you live. :)

I also had an ideal style city, and then what I really am. :) I love seeing what people want their style to be and how we all work on moving towards that goal.

I can’t wait to go through and read everyone else’s replies!

Anja August 5, 2011 at 4:44 am

you are a classic woman with a little color sparkle in there. So I am not sure, if you are a real Manhattan girl. They do tend to look more clean and classic chic but with less color (total stereotype now !). Maybe you are more San Francisco, but actually I think that Chicago is still in there somewhere as well!

Loving the new super short hairdo btw, it really suits you AND definitely gives you more of a San Francisco vibe!

Gayle August 5, 2011 at 5:27 am

I never really thought about how where we live influences our style until now. What a great, eye-opening set of questions!

Patti @ NotDeadYet Style August 5, 2011 at 7:15 am

This was a fun set of questions to contemplate Katy. It made me realize I need to be working harder on my dream to get to NYC! I get a Boston/SanFran vibe from your outfits. Business + personal style statements.

No Guilt Fashion August 5, 2011 at 8:00 am

Tough questions to answer. I’ve lived the same place my whole life. Hard to judge what city describes my dressing style. I think you are still a little Chicago chic, but I could see San Francisco too.

afashionablelifeforme August 5, 2011 at 8:06 am

Oh yes a most enjoyable one to write! I’m looking forward to reading everyone’s answers!
Linda

Caitlin August 5, 2011 at 8:17 am

I love that you’ve lived in so many different places! Oh, and I’m currently a senior in undergrad at a Midwest university, so I totally get “that look.” Haha!

Nnenna August 5, 2011 at 8:17 am

So interesting to read your answers Katy! I like how you described Boston as “fashionably reserved.”

Kirstin Marie August 5, 2011 at 9:37 am

Great choice of topics this week! That’s fun to hear that you broke the mold in St. Louis!

Heidi/The Closet Coach August 5, 2011 at 9:42 am

Katy:

I had the same problem with question #5 that you did! And the funny thing is, I also thought San Francisco might be a possibility. It does seem like the one American city that’s a bit European, a bit fashion forward, not so casual, but without being stocked with fashionistas. I guess I need to visit there again; I haven’t been in years!

Beatrice August 5, 2011 at 10:48 am

This one was fun!

making50fabulous August 5, 2011 at 11:11 am

Good question, Katy. I think I learned some things about myself. Ha ha. Terrible terrible things! Not really. I’m not sure what city would describe your style best. But I think it would be a fairly big city where there are colleges. Is there some place like that?

Blue August 5, 2011 at 11:29 am

Hello,
I just joined the Google group for Friend Friday, and I have a question. Are the questions posted somewhere beforehand or do they first appear in your post? If they are posted some time before Friday, when and where can I go look for them? I’d really love to participate!
Love, Blue

Heidi/The Closet Coach August 5, 2011 at 1:37 pm

They’re posted to the Google Group in advance. Search the archive and you should be able to find this month’s questions. Welcome to the group!

Bethie The Boo August 5, 2011 at 11:41 am

Just posted my first FBFF! How fun! Tough questions for my first week since I haven’t really lived anywhere but MN! Still fun though!

Khadija August 5, 2011 at 12:50 pm

This was my first Friend Friday and I liked how the questions were like a platform to share :)

Anne @ The Frump Factor August 5, 2011 at 12:53 pm

It’s so hard to answer your question because it’s so hard to categorize people and their style! I will say, though, that I think you really fit Boston. You are very fashion-forward — more so than many in town — but you always seem very comfortable and relaxed and grounded, somehow. I think that’s very Boston.

Piper Alexander August 5, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Great questions! Thanks again for putting this together.

Stephanie August 5, 2011 at 1:55 pm

YAY! I have been out of the blogging loop for a while, but I am back and more excited then ever!!
Great questions hun! I loved it.

Em K August 5, 2011 at 2:21 pm

Interesting topic, how your geographical location influences your style. Another aspect to this might be what clothing/stores you physically have access too. I know many people shop online but I still think places you can physically shop in influences your style to some degree.

Sarah August 5, 2011 at 2:49 pm

I have never been to New York but reading what you wrote about the way it changed your style, I feel like I want to go even more.

Amy August 5, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Great question! Today was my first FBFF post, I am so excited for more!!

Tren August 5, 2011 at 5:08 pm

New to the group and new to FBFF assignments!! Great questions, looking forward to future assignments!! Now if I can only add the button to my sidebar :)

Callie August 5, 2011 at 5:13 pm

This was a wonderful topic for the week – it’s so interesting to see how a location can effect someone’s personal style choices. I don’t think it’s something that we think about too often.

Jeanna August 5, 2011 at 8:17 pm

This was something I hadn’t really considered before. Interesting to think about!

Debbi@She Accessorizes Well August 5, 2011 at 10:03 pm

I have often thought of this same issue. Thank you for bringing up the topic and starting conversations.

Bostonista August 5, 2011 at 10:36 pm

Awesome question this week! I think Boston, in particular, lets people get away with more in terms of wacky fashion. You don’t get the weird looks when you’re walking around the city because they’ve always seen something stranger. You’d think it would be the same in New York (where there are all levels of crazy!) but while people aren’t staring at you when you’re going all out fashion they’re sizing you up and picking you apart. I rarely feel that in Boston.
xo

Dress Me Polly August 6, 2011 at 12:03 am

I loved this topic so much as it’s one I think about all the time, as I live abroad and travel lots.
I had mishaps and had to blog this one from my iPod. So couldn’t add links etc. Will get on the laptop today, as soon as I find it (pls be at work) and add links badge etc.

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy August 6, 2011 at 12:15 am

Great topic and post Katy.
Thank you for hosting.
Daphne.

Lindsay August 6, 2011 at 1:43 pm

this is such a great idea!! i’m happy to be a part of it. and i can’t wait to read everyone’s answers. thanks for hosting :)

Lindsay

Shea August 6, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I loved answering this weeks questions, because while I’ve always known that Kansas isn’t the most fashionable place on the planet, it does influence me! But I couldn’t choose a city that fits me either–that’s a difficult question!

Maryna August 12, 2011 at 10:19 am

better late then never)) sorry for being so late with my post.

boston luxury transportation June 3, 2014 at 12:14 pm

The moving issues are greater dealt by movable persons
who are offered to you anytime and anyplace with out giving you the tease
of vehicle pulling to the auto repair shop. After completion of education loan procedure, the loan may
be sanctioned or denied. Others provide free delivery and pick up from your
home or office.
boston luxury transportation recently posted..boston luxury transportation