Friend Friday: A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

This month I have been overwhelming inspired by two separate blog posts I read in which the blogger quit their day job and has started on the path to self-employment – doing what she loves to do. The first was Jenny Blake, who left Google after 5 years to be her own boss. And then I read Sally McGraw’s post about leaving her job to take Already Pretty full time. AND THEN… to top it all off my younger sister has decided to quit her job and start her own interior design business.

So that got me thinking… we all have dreams, goals, aspirations. Putting them down on paper is often the first step to realizing those dreams. So for Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday we are looking at the dreams that we have – the ones we keep buried inside and daydream about when life throws a curve.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible. – T.E. Lawrence

1. Fess up – if you could do anything professionally what would it be? I’m totally one to be my own boss. Freelance work was my favorite job thus far because it allowed me to be the boss and call the shots. I’ve got so many dreams…. I want to be an often published young adult author. I want to run a successful blog. I want to start an online (maybe print) magazine for young women to empower them. But mostly… I want to run a clothing boutique.

2. What draws you to this? I want to help girls/women who have a hard time shopping and finding the perfect piece and make it easy by bringing it to them. (pic by picturesbyheather)

3. When did you first start dreaming about this ideal? The thought came to me when I first moved to St. Louis and needed to get a job. I started working retail and freelancing. As I worked to turn my writing to a full time thing, I started envisioning using ModlyChic as a launching pad for an online retail site. It’s been building and percolating since then.

4. What’s holding you back from going all in? Money is the main thing. I’m still trying to pay off my dang student loans. Once that happens I can start to think about starting this up. The other thing holding me back is all the legal paperwork, becoming an official business… I’m totally worried about missing a step and getting busted by the government.

But then I read posts and stories about people who just dove in feet first and figure it out as time goes by; and I think dang, I can do that too. No problem! (Now if only I figured this out before I went and racked up thousands of dollars in loans. ah, well, live and learn.)

5. Sometimes the first step is the hardest… what’s one step you can take now on the way to realizing your dream? The main thing I’m doing is working hard on ModlyChic and growing it as much as possible. But the real step I’m working on is coming up with a drop-dead business plan, that is solid, well thought-out and complete.

Katy Rose
Filed In: FBFF , Friend Friday

51 thoughts on “Friend Friday: A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes

1. Sarah Ashley

Hey Katy! Sorry I’ve been so quiet this summer; working has been rather stressful to pay for this upcoming university semester. I’m really glad that I chose to start off my year in partaking with this week’s FBFF; I really loved this topic that you picked. Completely original and a great thinker! :)
    Sarah Ashley recently posted..A Reflection on Silent Blogging

2. Pingback: The Quirky Martini » When I Grow Up I Want to Be…

3. simplychic08

just looked at both posts and yours and i’m feeling very inspired :) i quit my job last year and moved across the country for grad school and so far so good. a little book called getting unstuck helped me make my decision…
    simplychic08 recently posted..blocks of color

4. Aesthetic Alterations

I’ve been self-employed for years now–just do it. It’s simple to file for a business–I finished the process in about a week at both the federal and state level; you just need to be anal enough to follow directions. Both parts of my business are dream jobs: manuscript consulting and developing, plus fine-art alternative process photography. It takes time to build a profitable business, but once you do, it’s hard to go back.
    Aesthetic Alterations recently posted..Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas, Nevada

5. Emily

Great topic – again! Makes you sit back and think about what you want and how you might go about it.

Love hearing about your dreams for the future and those of everyone else participating. Good luck with everything and can’t wait to find out how you get on :)

xx
    Emily recently posted..Friend Friday #49: dreaming dreams

6. Vievie-Georgette

I love nostalgia and the phrase “A dream is a wish your heart makes” takes me back to the very first movie I saw in the cinema, Cinderella. What we wanted seemed so simple then and yet it can be simple now if we want it to be. Thanks for the reminder :)
    -Vievie

7. Courtney

I loved reading this! I think it’s so powerful when we actually say what our dreams are and not just dance around them.

Starting and, even harder, maintaining your own business is hard. Both my parents do it and they work long hours, way longer than they should have to and worry a lot. But I think they both enjoy the freedom and independence of a small business.

I think you should go for it.
    Courtney recently posted..Black and Vintage

8. Bethie the Boo

SO thought provoking this topic! I had a hard time figuring it out at first though, which is kind of sad, but I realized I have had the same dream for a long time now even if I don’t want to admit it to myself! I am not one who really wants to be my “own boss” so to speak, but I definitely would like to be doing something different than I am now. Maybe someday!
    Bethie the Boo recently posted..FBFF: Dreams

9. MJ

Being your own boss is a conclusion I came to when I started my blog and I think your dream of having an online boutique is totally doable!! The wonderful thing about the internet is that you can start a business online and not have all the overhead that come with a brick and mortar store. I have a few people in my life that have their own business and for them it was as simple as getting a business license, a separate bank account, and a website! You can start small as a side thing and gradually build it up (and you have an awesome blog to help launch it!)

Go for it!!
    MJ recently posted..Friend Friday: Living Your Dreams

10. suzanne

You’re right; having a dream is the first place to start! I suggest starting a business plan – I absolutely LOVE this one: http://www.wonderthinking.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/The-Wonder-Thinking-Business-Plan-o-Rama.pdf

It’s easy to read and talks you through the process. It’s the perfect place to start because you can really get a grasp of everything that goes into opening your own business. I feel like if anyone can do it, you can! You seem like a very determined girl with a strong spirit – that will get you far!

Best of luck!

-Suzanne

11. Dress Me Polly

Re being an author; I think that’s so great. Have you started already, do you put time towards it, or is it one of those things you have to throw yourself into at expense of the ‘rest of life’? V Interesting
    Dress Me Polly recently posted..The dream job

12. Elly

The questions this week are great, thank you for starting the conversation! It’s definitely useful to put down on paper both the “what” and the “why” of my career dreams… makes me feel more confident that I’m headed in the right directions. Can’t wait to read what everyone else is dreaming of!

And you should absolutely start a clothing boutique! In Boston, preferably, because then I could stop by. :)
    Elly recently posted..FBFF: Following Your Dreams

13. Pingback: friendly Friday: dreaming and wishing and hoping « the life academic

14. Rebekah

I actually was going to skip this week because I was discouraged that my dream job would never happen. But, after being inspired by reading some of the others, I realized that was OK and I can focus on other dreams, too. I’m at work right now, so I’ll have to post mine a little later, but very good topic!
    Rebekah recently posted..Sewing Project Conundrum – Help Me Decide

15. Pingback: Friend Friday – living the dream | a fashionable life for me

16. Veshoevius

Oh hey – I knew about the writing dreams but not about the fashion boutique! How cool! I think creative types have overactive brains that get stimulus from creative outlets in many fields so it’s not surprising you have your fingers in many pies with writing and fashion. I hear you about the concerns of setting up as a business and worries of not being above board with the government – that sort of stuff is a nightmare and I think you’re right – most people just stumble along working it out as they go along – I had to do the whole setting myself up as a small business in order to freelance and it was pretty scary – but worth it in the end!
    Veshoevius recently posted..Friend Friday: Don’t Give Up The Day Job

17. Inez

Dreams and Hope is what keeps us going most times. It’s a pity that the lack of money deters us from pursuing our dreams. It’s courageous for one to go ahead nonetheless. Love the topic.
    Inez recently posted..On a Hill Far Away

18. Pingback: FBFF on a thursday « Miss Lucy's Blog

19. Pingback: FBFF Friend Friday: Dreams…really late @ Oh, Say Can You Say?

20. domain

You actually make it seem really easy together with your presentation however I find this matter to
    be actually something that I feel I might by no means understand.
    It kind of feels too complicated and extremely extensive for me.
    I am looking ahead for your subsequent post, I’ll attempt to get the hang of it!
    domain recently posted..domain