Friend Friday: The Outfit Formula

by katyrose on July 1, 2011

Today marks the start of a change for Friend Friday. Up until this point we have been answering weekly questions, but starting in July and for the foreseeable future we are switching to a twice monthly action plan. I let the members know about this change a couple weeks ago and so many of them have been supportive of it and very encouraging. The decision was the result of a lot of internal debate on my part. Afterall, I like the weekly chats we bloggers have. I love the ease at which all the members can come up with a Friday post. But my reasons for switching to the twice monthly mode are as follows:

1. The group is growing at such a rapid pace, now over 725 members, that I want to make sure there is value for everyone. Sometimes a week is not enough time to read through and comment on all the posts. Now there is a two week window to give all the participating bloggers time to interact more with the others.
  2. The purpose of FBFF is to create a blogger network in which we check our pride, selfishness and high school attitudes at the door; bringing instead support and encouragement to all the other members and fashion bloggers out there. With the rapid fire week-after-week questions that purpose has become clouded and pettiness has begun to seep in. It’s not needed.
  3. To be honest, I don’t have the time to keep up with the weekly posts, creating thought-provoking questions, the FBFF discussion boards, introducing new members, etc… I never expected this to become so big or so time consuming. I want to make sure to give everything the importance it deserves.

With that in mind… FBFF questions will now be posted on the 1st and 3rd Friday’s of each month. As always there is no obligation to answer the questions each week. Join in as you see fit. If you are not a member, here is the Google GroupAnd mega thanks to all 725 members who have taken an interest in this meme!

This week’s questions are in part inspired by Vahni from Grit and Glamour. A number of weeks ago she posted about her personal uniform or ‘outfit formula’ as she dubbed it. The concept struck me. What is an outfit formula or the typical ‘you’ uniform. The items you easily reach for. The easy-to-create look that is oh so you.

1. What’s your go-to outfit formula? I think, for me, it varies based on the season. Now in the warmer weather I’m all about a simple dress, a cardigan, a belt and a great pair of heels and of course the accents of earrings, rings and bracelets or necklace. It’s simple, easy, basic and it is the look that I find myself creating again and again each morning. Come to think of it… It’s all I’ve worn this week.

2. How did you come about this formula? It’s actually not a new formula. It’s what I’ve been doing for years now. The dress always makes me feel feminine and put together. The cardigan adds something to the dress, especially in the cooler temperatures. The belt is that little extra that takes a couple items of clothing and turns it into a polished look. And a pair of heels… well everything looks better with a killer pair of heels, right?!

3. Do you have different formulas for different occasions in your life? Sure. The dress/cardigan combination is certainly a daily look. On the weekends, I’m much more included to rolled jeans and a t-shirt. This past winter, as I re-introduced myself to the cold months, I stuck with a dark uniform of basic skinny pants and over-sized comfy sweaters.

4. Has it morphed over the years? Oh, yeah! In college my uniform was a pair of jeans and a sweatshirt. With Milwaukee being cold 8 months out of the year I never had to worry much about deviating from that. When the weather got warm it was flip-flops, jeans and t-shirts. It was so intense, that a very dear family friend who was getting a little forgetful and visually impaired in her old age told a friend that she really liked when I, the boy from nearby, came to visit. Yeah – that ‘boy’ was a girl who never wore anything other than school sweatshirts and jeans.

In high school it was literally a uniform (green plaid!). As a young professional, I thought suits were the be-all, end-all so I spent a lot of time trying to create that professional look. Later I realized in a field like mine, the strict suit life wasn’t something I needed to adhere to. That’s when the current outfit formula began to emerge.

5. Which other blogger’s outfit formula would you like to swipe? Right now, thanks to the personal challenge to wear more skirts/dresses and heels this summer, I am loving JoAnn from Sidewalk Chic. She’s got an amazing collection of dresses and skirts that I can envision endless remixes for. So cute!

Mandy July 1, 2011 at 12:11 am

YAY! This is my FIRST time linking up! I am so excited. My post is scheduled for 12am pacific time. Thanks for putting this together! I cannot wait to connect with NEW bloggers/friends!

Mandy July 1, 2011 at 12:17 am

P.S. I LOVE how you thought suits were the end all, be all! I too went through that phase when I started my first big kid job! :)

KandiSTYLE July 1, 2011 at 2:04 am

I am with you on the dresses, I love them! I also drank the cool-aid when I first started out in financial servicing…I wore suits everyday, and some of them were not only boring, but pretty terrible too, SMH. I was excited to JoAnn from Side Walk Chic, I’d never seen her blog before!!

KandiSTYLE July 1, 2011 at 2:05 am

I was excited to *see* JoAnn from Side Walk Chic…I need some rest! :-)

Nicole at Mommy Moxie July 1, 2011 at 2:25 am

I too am a dress gal and I LOVE that coral dress! Coral is one of my favorite colors for summer. Something about it just makes me smile :)

Dee July 1, 2011 at 3:14 am

I am all about dresses too, and your coral one is so beautiful!

Dee July 1, 2011 at 3:15 am

I am all about dresses too, and thanks for introducing me to JoAnn of SidewalkChic. She is lovely!

Sophie - Country girl July 1, 2011 at 3:19 am

I can just see myself forgetting which weeks are fbff weeks now! I’ll have to set reminders. I’ve always really enjoyed joining in and hope that long may FBFF continue! I think I’m yet to be girlie enough to have skirts or dresses as my staple wear.

Kit July 1, 2011 at 3:30 am

holy crap. i don’t think i can tell you enough how much i love that dress. i want one. where did you get it and when? i feel like i need you to go shopping for dresses with me :( i’m so bad at picking out anything different from the stuff i already have. any stores you can point me at for everyday dresses? summer and winter please :)

triskelos July 1, 2011 at 7:24 am

Great topic) I was just thinking about outfit formulas and go-to outfits the other day)

Whitney July 1, 2011 at 8:00 am

I’m a newby to the blogger world–and this is my first time linking up with you ladies! I’ll be sure to link over for my post today!

Whitney

Keysha! July 1, 2011 at 8:01 am

Dress + sweater + heels = You looking well put together and awesome. I really enjoyed this weeks questions and…(::whispers:: ..I’m not even sure I still own a dress) Must remedy this immediately.

Kelly July 1, 2011 at 8:37 am

Another great list of questions … :D

Kelly xo
Elegantly Academic

MyFavouriteThings July 1, 2011 at 9:25 am

You look amazing in that photo, my to-go outfit formula is so much more boring than yours:) Great topic! Thanks, and have a lovely weekend!

Elissa July 1, 2011 at 10:21 am

First of all, your coral dress is gorgeous. That color is great on you!

Secondly, I can totally relate to the college formula of jeans + sweatshirt and summer uniform of flip flips + jeans. Being compared to a boy much have been so hurtful for you – I’m sorry you had to go through that. I preferred shapeless dressing because I hated my body and sought to hide in my clothes as much as possible. I avoided skirts and dresses because I was afraid to show my legs. So I covered up. Thankfully, I’ve become much more comfortable with my body, flaws and all, and find myself reaching for skirts much more often.

Kimberlee July 1, 2011 at 10:23 am

Love that dress- great color on you!

Heidi/The Closet Coach July 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

I really need to bust out my skirts and dresses more, especially in this warm weather. I always reach for pants first. Somehow they feel easier to me. Go figure!

Beatrice July 1, 2011 at 12:23 pm

It seems to be all about dresses and skirts for me.

GRIT & GLAMOUR July 1, 2011 at 1:09 pm

Well hey…glad to inspire! Thanks for the shout! This is a great topic. We all have a look we revert to, I firmly believe it!

Audrey Allure July 1, 2011 at 1:46 pm

I love the combo of a cardigan & a dress!

For Those About To Shop July 1, 2011 at 1:47 pm

Katy, this topic was surprisingly insightful for me and gave me a chance to think about why I dress the way I do and how my mode of dress reflects my values. Thank you!

Sarah July 1, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Dresses are such a great uniform because they come in do many options.

Dress Me Polly July 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I love that we all love dresses. Time for the rest of the world to realise that dresses are not only for special occasions. Surely life is just generally special enough to wear a dress every day!

CC July 1, 2011 at 2:48 pm

Great topic as usual, Katie! Thank you so much for all your hard work in putting this together.
I love that dress on you. You look lovely in your dresses and skirts this summer!

afashionablelifeforme July 1, 2011 at 2:58 pm

Katy, that’s a good topic! Like some of the others, I felt it forces you to think about how you style yourself.
I did a similarish post before and that’s when I realised how dependent I am on a formula but one that is instinctive afters years of practice and mistakes of course! Once you’ve nailed your formula it really does change how you shop for the better.

Can’t believe you were ever mistaken for a boy!
Linda

Martina Lynne :: The Life Academic July 1, 2011 at 3:19 pm

I’m looking forward to the new FBFF set up and the kind of great questions and answers I’m guessing we’ll get soon. Thanks for sticking it out with all of us!

FASHION TALES July 1, 2011 at 4:16 pm

These are great questions, I’m always interested to know if others use some sort of formula, even subconsciously there’s always something we gravitate toward. You look so pretty. -xo
Madison

Sherry Jarwin July 1, 2011 at 5:33 pm

This was super fun! I never thought about my dress “formula” but I guess I have one! I am looking forward to reading everyone’s answers… I love FBFF! And I love that it isn’t every week! Cheers! xoxo

brittney July 1, 2011 at 6:50 pm

I think I need more simple dresses in my life. Well, not necessarily “simple dresses,” but rather dresses in general…because by their very nature they’re simple. Fun to answer, Katy! Thanks!

Charlotte July 1, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Just linked up! Oh my goodness. I absolutely adore that dress! It’s really incredible and the skirt shape is amazing! I’m totally with you with just dresses for the summer. It’s so easy and is much more comfortable than jeans or anything else, really.

Gayle July 1, 2011 at 7:54 pm

I really love your dress! The coral color is beautiful and the neckline and silhouette remind me of the 60s. Great set of questions this week, Katy!

Elly July 1, 2011 at 10:27 pm

The dress/cardigan/belt combo is definitely my summer outfit go-to these days…so easy and elegant. I love this coral dress on you!

Alex Elizabeth July 1, 2011 at 11:07 pm

I didn’t answer this week’s questions but I love the idea of a personal uniform. I’ve slowly been trying to create one for a while now, but I find that I like so many different styles that it’s sometimes hard to pull all my clothes together. A shirt and a skirt is generally standard for me even through winter. I just add tights!

Also, I’m so glad FBFF is going to twice/month. It is really difficult to keep up with things, especially when some questions get a huge number of responses.

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy July 2, 2011 at 1:37 am

Great answers Katy. Love that dress and a cardi photo too.
Daphne.

Aline C July 2, 2011 at 6:18 am

This is my first FBFF post! I’m so excited :)

Salazar July 2, 2011 at 11:45 am

It’s funny how blogging changed your style (or changing my style made me start blogging… either way), but 4 months ago I would’ve said my outfit formula is jeans + T-shirt + sneakers, and now it’s top + full skirt + heels!

14 Shades of Grey

A July 3, 2011 at 6:56 pm

The great silhouette, the punchy color of the dress and cardigan, the fabulous heels… Sheer perfection. A late 50s – early 60s uniform that we need more of these days.

joann, sidewalk chic July 3, 2011 at 9:28 pm

Thanks so much for the mention, lady! :)

I loved reading the responses to this FBFF — it’s cool to see how others’ outfit combinations have changed over the years. I used to be a jeans/cargo shorts and t-shirt kind of person in high school — oh, how much has changed! :)