Cropped Tops = Summer Ease

by katyrose on July 25, 2011

To be honest, the over-sized cropped t-shirt trend had me puzzled. Was it possible to wear this item and not look oversized and shapeless? I figured this fun striped top from Target was the perfect experiment; but when I threw it on over this dress it was exactly as I expected – oversized and totally shapeless. A little knot did the trick, bringing in the waist area and giving a little structure to the whole thing.

In other news… I FINALLY went to the DMV and changed my Missouri license for a Massachusetts one. About time – I know. It’s been almost a year but I just never got around to it. Oops. The process was so easy in Boston I was blown away. I think I was in the DMV for a total of 15 minutes, which gave me the chance to stroll home through the Commons and Public Gardens.

Tip: Find a way to take the latest trends and make it work for you. We’re not all going to work every item the same way.

Dress: Target
Shirt: Target
Shoes: Payless
Earrings: Charming Charlies
Purse: Banana Republic, from a swap
Sunglasses: Target
Bracelet: Forever21

Robin July 25, 2011 at 8:56 am

I cannot imagine only being at the DMV for 15 minutes! That’s just amazing. I love the way you knotted the crop top. Totally makes a difference!

Kiki's Corner:: Fun, Fashion and Frivolity July 25, 2011 at 9:44 am

You look super cute today :)

kikiscornerfunfashionandfrivolity.blogspot.com

Pencil Skirts and Lattes July 25, 2011 at 10:34 am

I LOVE cropped shirts this summer, you are just so adorable! I despise having to go to the DMV – I can’t believe you got in and out so quickly!

-Sarah

Callie July 25, 2011 at 12:57 pm

When the season began, the summer crop top was a little foreign to me as well. But I have been wearing them more and more often, especially knotted like you’ve done above. It’s such a cute look and you look wonderful! Very simple, chic, and entirely ready for summer. The wedges are also adorable. :)

Callie
unladylikeblog.blogspot.com

Kirstin Marie July 25, 2011 at 1:55 pm

You did wonders with that cropped top! It looks cute. I hear ya with the oversized crop top, it can look silly. I think you nailed it. Good for you for being at the DMV for 15 minutes!! I’m scared of the DMV, it’s always ridiculous down here, I always do my stuff online!!

Lori July 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I saw that top at Target and all I could envision was the original 90210 cast. I really like what you did. I thought that item would be totally unwearable in the real world, but now I see that it does work. :)

Shea July 25, 2011 at 6:07 pm

I love the way you styled the cropped top! That’s a trend that I wouldn’t have even thought about trying myself, but seeing how you’re doing it I want to give it a try!

Fashion Confessions of a Mommy July 25, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Great idea knotting to the side like that.
I love those type of dangly earrings with short haircuts. Looks great.
Daphne.

Pencil Skirts and Lattes July 25, 2011 at 10:52 pm

I LOVE cropped tees this summer and this one looks fab on you! Love how you created extra shape with tying the side. PS – I’ve been trying to comment on this post all day, so if this is the 5th one please let me know LOL. Not sure why comment forms don’t like me but I’m determined to show love for my fave bloggers! :)

-Sarah

Miss Rockwell July 26, 2011 at 12:32 pm

Oh I love how you gave this some shape but adding the knot. That’s cute!! Girl you were in DMV for 15 mins? That’s amaaaazziinnngg and sounds to be like a world record. I’m never in my DMV for less than 45 mins. Way to go!

Kimberlee July 26, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I recently wore a shirt like that! Bloggers always come up with creative tips for my wardrobe hehe

Kerissa August 2, 2011 at 2:37 am

I’m too skinny to roll with this trend but you look good. Black and white is never a fail.

Nadine February 12, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Glad I found this! I was also trying to figure out how to pull off the crop top. . .I put a knot in it and was wondering if it would look alright. Then I found your blog and now I know I too can pull this look off. Thanks!