For Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday we have talked about going the all-natural route when it comes to hair care, but we’ve never discussed your usual routine. So here goes…
1. How often do you get your hair cut? When it is long or I’m growing it out I might go about 2 to 3 months. (It’s odd that I have only gotten my hair cut three times since moving here in August.) When it is short I usually get a cut every 6 weeks since it grows so unbelievably fast and I don’t like the bad grow-out near mullet stage that happens with short cuts.
I’m always going with new looks… never keeping one for too long. Life is too short to have only one haircut define you.
2. Do you go to the same stylist each time, try someone new, go to the cheap hair cutting chains or live it up in a salon? When I was in St. Louis I tried out a couple different stylists at the same salon before I happened upon Andy and was hooked for two years until I moved. *sigh* In Boston I lucked out and found Anthony with the first haircut I got in this town. I don’t see me leaving him anytime soon. He’s a whiz; afterall how many stylists can give you a cut that looks amazing on day one and on day 90?
To be honest, when I was in high school and college I always got my hair cut at the cheap hair places. Cost Cutters and Great Clips were my friend! If I still wore my hair long and curly I’d still be going to those places since there isn’t much they can do to mess up a curly long cut.
3. Do you color your hair? How often? What’s your natural color? Yes! I started putting sun-in in my hair in 9th grade, continuing with that regiment until college. Then I started box coloring my hair and switching up the colors as often as I liked. It was mostly blonde – although box blonde can tend to be more orange than true blonde, so it wasn’t always pretty. Two years ago I went back towards the more natural brown and now I’ve got highlights to lessen the box-color look. I tend to color it every 6 weeks, since it grows super fast, although with highlights I’ve realized I can get away without coloring it so often, which is also good for the health of my hair.
4. The one thing you always do to keep your hair looking great is: Condition, condition and condition again. I shampoo and then condition my hair and am careful not to wash all the conditioner completely out. I then put in leave-in conditioner before styling my hair. And lastly, at least once a week I dampen my hair, load it with conditioner and sleep with it like that – it works wonders I swear. And you can use super cheap conditioner for it.
5. What hair trend do you love and wish you could rock? It’s no secret I wish I could have long blonde hair with pink tips. I also love the look of blonde hair with ombre purple on the bottom half of the head (a la Kimberly Grace or Jordan Todosey in that teen movie). I also would love to try the platinum blonde look, although I fear that would cost an arm and a leg to have to update every few weeks. Not fun!