To further mark the one-year anniversary of Fashion/Beauty Friend Friday, which we celebrated last week, today we are answering the same questions that were asked the first time around. It’s all about inspiration – where we find it and who gives it to us. I’m going to answer these without looking at last year’s answers and then cross check it to see how my responses have changed in the past year. Should be interesting.
1. Which celebrity (celebrities) do you look to for fashion inspiration? To be honest, I don’t follow celebrity fashion. Sure, I glance at the tabloids and magazines when I’m standing in line at Target, but I’m not into celebrity blogs, etc… Off the top of my head I love Jennifer Aniston’s casual style – when she’s sporting jeans and a t-shirt. She does it so effortlessly and still looks feminine and put together. I also adore Sandra Bullock. I think she’s got this natural classiness about her that makes her stunning on the red carpet, in movies and just in life.
2. When it comes to your own personal style, what inspires you? Now, after almost two years of sporadic fashion/style blogging I’d have to say that other fashion bloggers are the most inspirational and impact my personal style the most. Since these bloggers come in such different sizes and shapes and have such varied ideas of what fashion is all about – they are a huge inspiration to my personal style. I think we challenge each other to try new things, re-work the old and continue to learn about the industry. Plus the group is so refreshing, genuine and uplifting with each other – that’s some major inspiration!
3. How do you hope to inspire your readers? I want my readers to visit ModlyChic in order to find some tips and pointers on how to dress-up the clothing that they have. To step away from the easy-out of wearing jeans and a sweatshirt or baggy t-shirt, and instead embrace their fierce feminine side. I want them to want to get dressed up, to want to put on accessories on a daily basis and to know that dressing should be about realizing their own true worth and illustrating that to others.
4. Outside the realm of fashion who/what inspires you? A lot of different things. The Boston Marathon this week was a huge inspiration. People who do things that change the world, even if it is just changing the little community they live in, are also a huge inspiration. People who follow their dreams always inspire me to work harder to fulfill my own. I can walk out of the house on a sunny spring day and just feel inspired to be alive by the beauty around me. A good book or movie that moves me, is always an inspiration to go back to writing my current book in progress. Newspaper articles about journalism and the dying breed of journalists always inspires me to write better and keep at the craft I learned in college…. gee it looks like a lot of random things inspire me.
5. And since Idol is ending… Which songs inspire you? I’m kinda music obsessed. With nearly 6000 songs on my iTunes playlist it’s a little hard to narrow the choices down. And a lot of it does depend on my mood at the moment. There is this song that was originally done by Train years ago that was remade by David Nail called ‘I’m About to Come Alive.’ It’s one of my most played songs – I think because I love the refrain… ‘Don’t give up on me I’m about to come alive.’ I feel like that a lot… on the verge of something big but I need to keep moving forward and working on it and I need people to keep believing that the things I want in life are possible and can be achieved. Also ‘My Life Story’ by Gladys Knight is probably the song I would want played at my funeral – It summarizes everything I think my life is about in one song and is beautiful to listen to.