30 by 30 Bucket List

by katyrose on April 20, 2011

The more I think about taking the step to publish my first young adult book, the more I realize there are so many other accomplishments I’d like to check off my pie-in-the-sky list before I turn 30 (it’s a couple years away). And then after watching the Boston Marathon earlier this week… I’m realizing there is no better time than the present to begin pursuing those ideals. Since the experts say you are more likely to accomplish something if you write it down, I’m listing my 30 big goals to accomplish before I turn 30 years old. If the list were life goals – I think it would look pretty different than it does for the next couple years, but I also need to be a little practical.

In no particular order, my 30 by 30 list:

1. Write and publish another young adult ebook. (or maybe two or three.)
  2. Qualify for the Boston Marathon.
  3. Learn Spanish
  4. Run a half marathon in 1hour 30 minutes or under.
  5. Travel abroad – don’t really care where just out of North America
  6. Learn to sew, make my own skirt.
  7. Take a half-country road trip.
  8. Monetize ModlyChic.
  9. Write one letter a day to family/friends for 60 days.
  10. See the Grand Canyon.
  11. Plan and execute a fashion blogger conference.
  12. Go a month without making a single purchase.
  13. Pay off my student loans.
  14. Go on vacation with my siblings.
  15. Color the tips of my hair pink.
  16. Complete some kind of triathlon. (I’m thinking a sprint distance is good for starters, but maybe a half ironman.)
  17. Be a speaker at a conference.
  18. Grow my fingernails out and keep them painted for a month.
  19. Get a tattoo.
  20. Become a brand ambassador for one of my favorite companies.
  21. Write a book that gets traditionally published.
  22. Get featured in a magazine.
  23. Overcome shyness.
  24. Ride on the back of a motorcycle.
  25. Attend New York Fashion Week.
  26. Get better at making YouTube videos – and post regularly.
  27. Move FBFF over from a Google Group to a website.
  28. Buy a DLSR camera.
  29. Attend a blogger conference SXSW
  30. Go for a roughing-it camping trip with friends/family.

What do you want to do in the next couple years? Anything I should add to this list?

MJ April 20, 2011 at 10:01 am

LOVE this bucket list!! Inspired me to do a couple of those things myself (though my 30 is only a few months away! Maybe a bucket list before I turn 40?? LOL)
MJ recently posted..My Spa Day at The Ritz Carlton- Key Biscayne

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:16 am

Or a bucket list before 35. I think the short term seems easier to accomplish than the far away ones. But that’s just me.

Relatable Style April 20, 2011 at 10:10 am

That’s a cool list! You got a lot ahead of you :-) Being someone who recently turned 30, I’d advise you to do 15. sooner rather than later, because there does come a time when you feel to “old” (relatively speaking) or too deep into corporate stuff to do it. I wouldn’t have thought it either, but it’s true. And I absolutely don’t mean socially accepted standards, as I rarely bother with these. I mean you just suddenly feel too grown for some things… I’ve stopped going to music festivals equipped only with a tent and a bottle of vodka two years ago, it started getting too cold, too far away, too boring and too age-reaffirming ^^ But it’s good to change in these ways, otherwise we’d be college girls forever, dating only frat boys. And all hell breaks loose, LOL!
Relatable Style recently posted..Kate Middleton Fashion Week – Kates Tea

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:18 am

Good idea! I’m certainly working on doing a number of them right now. But we will see how it all goes. Some are easier to jump into. Others take some serious planning and foresight. I’m hoping I don’t hit that I’m feeling old stage, but I’m sure it will come.

Rocquelle April 20, 2011 at 10:12 am

What an awesome list! You have me thinking of some things I want to accomplish before I’m 30. Some of which are:

Attend New York Fashion Week
Travel out of the country with my boyfriend
Go to a blogger conference
Get a DSLR camera
Learn French (again)
Get a masters degree

I may need to do a post myself, lol

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:19 am

Rocquelle – You should totally make a bucket list. It’s a great way to spur yourself on to step outside the mediocre and go for some of those big-time goals! I’m excited about the journey the next few years will bring with this list in mind.

Inez April 20, 2011 at 10:21 am

Now, that is one long list. I also do want to learn Spanish. Je parle et ecrit un peu de francaise, mais j’aime the way ( lol ) Spanish sounds especially after listening to Salvador on the Spanish edition of Second Chance.

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:20 am

Inez – The bummer is that I think I might be Spanish illiterate. I took it for 4 years in high school, one semester in college and then lived in Spain for 6 weeks to get it under control – and I’ve got nothing!! That might be the hardest thing on the list.

sami April 20, 2011 at 10:38 am

you should definitely check out stitch house in dorchester- they offer classes so you can learn to sew! i took one a few years back and made my own skirt! love setting goals :) good list!

xo
sami
sami recently posted..♥ spring is natures way of saying- lets party!

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

Sami – Thanks for the heads up. I’ll need to check out the Stitch House – it sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Are you still wearing the skirt you made?

Elly April 20, 2011 at 10:49 am

This is a great bucket list, and really inspiring! Terrific to look at all of these things as goals that you can actively take steps to make happen. Like being published/featured in a magazine/a conference speaker — I feel like generally people think of those as things that will only happen “if they’re lucky,” rather than concrete goals that you can then work toward making a reality! I also really like the range of different kinds of goals you have here.

Maybe it’s time for me to start thinking of a bucket list for the next few years…
Elly recently posted..Quick and Easy Refashioning

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:24 am

Elly – It’s true some of those things are going to happen if I am lucky. It’s not exactly like I am going to go and tell conference organizers that I want to be on a panel. I think more of the background with that is I want to be a voice that other’s recognize. In that way I’d be asked to speak at a conference. Plus I think it would be good for me in so many other ways.

Ashley April 20, 2011 at 10:49 am

What a great list – I have to sit down and think of what my bucket list is!
Ashley recently posted..Look Who Decided to Play

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:24 am

Thanks Ashley

Courtney April 20, 2011 at 10:52 am

That is a great list! It does inspire me to make my own list, but as I turned 40-ish ;) a bit back, I will have to think about the age I choose.
Courtney recently posted..Shoesday Tuesday 1

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:25 am

45 by 45 or 50 by 50 would be a great list of things. I’m loving the idea of my 30 by 30 list, so I might end up making one of these ever few years. It really is spurring me on to think bigger.

Pixie in Pumps April 20, 2011 at 11:08 am

I really need to get on writing one of these. I did a 1001 things in 101 days list one time… it didn’t work out so well. hopefully a 30 before 30 will have better success.

I love your list. Such wonderful things you hope to accomplish. It’s inspiring!
Pixie in Pumps recently posted..My Name is Jenni and Im a Pinterest Addict

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:26 am

30 by 30 is WAY more do-able. I don’t think I could even come up with 1001 things that I really wanted to do.

Kari April 20, 2011 at 11:09 am

I need to make a 60 before 60 list :-) yikes … I am curious about your number 12 though. How on earth could you ever go a month without making a single purchase? Barbara Kingsolver wrote a book a few years back that detailed her attempts to eat locally — kind of along the same lines.
Kari recently posted..The Goddess of Victory

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:29 am

Kari – I don’t know if #12 is possible but I would like to try it. I have meals provided through my job, so I wouldn’t need to do that. But then again there would be some things like the phone bill – that I couldn’t not pay. I suppose it is more of a I will only pay for the absolute essentials and then not spend a dime more. It might help kick the starbucks/dunkin donuts addiction I have.

Laura April 20, 2011 at 11:49 am

I love this list! I created a life-goal list when I was in hs and have been contemplating revising it (just because high school goals aren’t always realistic) and posting it on my blog. I think I will do just that. Thanks for inspiring me :) Oh and I love your idea of writing a traditionally published book. I know you can do it, and I would buy it for sure :)
Laura recently posted..Mr Wrinkly

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:31 am

Thanks Laura! I hope to create a traditionally published book. But for now it is all about the ebooks and getting those known to a greater reader base. It’s a huge project at the moment. But I’m hoping that will lead to an actual book contract at some point.

Sara April 20, 2011 at 12:29 pm

Ugh, I need to stop picking at my nails…I’m terrible at it, I need to learn to leave them alone and let them grow out too!!

Skydiving is on my list, although I know its pretty cliche. I’ve already bungee jumped, which was a ton of fun and a big step in braveness for me.

I’ve always wanted to have fire-engine red streaks/highlights/tips in my hair! I also want to plant a garden full of fruit and veggies that I can eat :)

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:32 am

Sara – I would love to skydive too but I think my family and friends wouldn’t let me attempt that one – too many unforeseen possibilities. And the nails are my constant battle. They grow long enough for some polish and then one breaks and I pick at the others and suddenly they are all short again. Well and all the typing doesn’t help either.

Kinsey Michaels April 20, 2011 at 12:46 pm

so many awesome, attainable things on this list! Moving FBFF to a website would be really phenomenal and cool. You should think about maybe getting a forum for it (check out ning.com) or you could go with something simpler :)
I too, would LOVE to video blog more and post YouTube videos. I just hate how I appear on camera. I feel like I don’t come across approachable and casual haha. I need to work on it.
#28 ~ dooooo it!
#6 ~ would be really neat and a cool thing to post about on ModlyChic!
Kinsey Michaels recently posted..As Seen in US Weekly

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:34 am

Kinsey – The camera purchase might happen sooner than I expected. I dropped my camera at the marathon and now the lens cover doesn’t slide open and closed correctly. Oops. We’ll see how much longer I can get out of it. And the sewing class will totally be posted about on ModlyChic!

Dancing Branflake April 20, 2011 at 12:49 pm

This is so great! I would love to learn how to sew, and go to SXSW, and attend NY Fashion week. Such a great and creative list!
Dancing Branflake recently posted..A Fit and Lean Meal

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:38 am

SXSW has been a little secret obsession of mine for the last three years. I’m hoping 2012 is the year for me!

Kara April 20, 2011 at 1:11 pm

This is a great list, and very inspiring. I also have a lot of that stuff on my mental list also, but writing it down and putting it out there is very motivating. Thanks so much for doing this- I’m going to make one of my own now!
xx Kara
Kara recently posted..Spring Beauty Essentials

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:41 am

Kara – It’s funny, because I just blogged about it on a whim, but I like that I put it down in this more permanent form. It holds me accountable and makes it fun to check off the list. I think I’ll be putting it in the sidebar somehow to keep me motivated.

Martina Lynne :: The Life Academic April 20, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I think I need to make a 25 by 25 list — I love the range and variation of items that these lists represent. The practical next to the hopeful next to the things that only require the will and/or a bankroll. How hard was it to come up with the list? Did you learn something new after making it?
Martina Lynne :: The Life Academic recently posted..daily dose- I’m expecting sun sun sun- okay

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:43 am

Martina – I actually was surprised at how hard it was to come up with the 30 items. I have a ton more things I want to do before I kick the bucket, but in terms of what can happen in the next several years I had to think a little more narrowly, which made the list tricky. I tried to diversify it too so it wasn’t all blog goals or all professional goals – but a little bit of everything. I figure that way it would make me a more well-rounded person by the time it is all over.

Kirstin Marie April 20, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I love your bucket list!!! Your list got me to thinking about what things I would place on my bucket list. Now the old brain knobs are turning. :)

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:47 am

Kristin – Do it!! It’s been such a great project already. Now I just need to get working on the items.

Krystle April 20, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Katy this is a wonderful list!! I love the dying your hair pink, BQ, tattoo, more books… very diverse list, which I think is wonderful!! Have you seen some of those blogs that do the 1001 lists? I’ll see if I can find one to show you. I will have to think more about what would be on mine. :)

Great post! Something different, which is fun! :)
Krystle recently posted..Spring!!!

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:49 am

Krystle – Thanks. The list was fun to come up with and I like that it is a diverse mix of professional and personal goals. I figure that will help me achieve each as I can work through a couple at a time.
I’ve seen the 1001 lists. Not sure I could even come up with that many things I wanted to and could do. The 30 was difficult enough to pick.

Alyssa April 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I actually made a 30 before 30 list a few weeks ago when I was bored in my law class. Im so excited to get started on it! We share 3 (well actually italian) 6, 16 19 and 25 in common!
Alyssa recently posted..Nice is Nice

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:51 am

Alyssa – We share some of my favorite ones. I really want to figure out how to sew. That would be such a great talent to learn, especially when it comes to the blog. And the tat is something I’ve wanted for a while now but the price is killing me. Do you have a design picked out for yours yet?

Alyssa April 21, 2011 at 4:14 pm

Ahh thats so cool! I have been wanting one for yearsss and always either back out/have no money for it.
And also because I have a few ideas for it Im not sure which one to get or where!
Alyssa recently posted..Nice is Nice

Jessica April 20, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Love this idea and so many of the things on your list would be on mine too! I need to make one myself and get started!
Jessica recently posted..Daily Outfit- Coral

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:52 am

Jessica – Go for it. I think I’ll put mine in the sidebar to keep track of what I have and haven’t done. It should be fun to track the progress.

Lisa D. April 20, 2011 at 4:45 pm

Yay! Great list! I’ll come to your blogger conference. =) Tip for a month of painted nails…Shellac manicures!
Lisa D. recently posted..April Flowers

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:53 am

Lisa – I’ll have to look for the Shellac manicures. My nails have serious all around problems – not sure how I got gifted with such bad nails but they are always short and breaking, chipping or peeling. UGH!

Tiffany April 20, 2011 at 5:15 pm

I love your list!! It’s inspiring. I should make my own bucket list for before I turn 35, since 30 has come and gone. =)
Tiffany recently posted..Tasty Tuesday – Baked Ziti

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

Tiffany – Go for it. A 35 by 35 list would be fun to create and work towards.

myheartblogged April 20, 2011 at 8:07 pm

My 23rd birthday is coming up soon. It has me thinking about things I would like to get done before I’m 30. I would love to finish college in the next 4 years (I am going back this summer), find a job I like, and start a vintage clothing store.
myheartblogged recently posted..Outfit of the day With just a shimmy- and a shake

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:54 am

Oh… start a vintage clothing store – now that is a great item for the bucket list!! Go for it.

Angeline April 20, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Love it! I’m with you…I’ve got a bit of a running list going on things I want to do, but I haven’t quite edited it down to 30 yet. I’ve also got a few years left. Let’s do this!!
Angeline recently posted..Lunch break

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:55 am

Angeline – It helped me to write it down so I’ve got all the big things I’d like to get done written in one place. Plus then I can cross off what I’ve done and add more if the opportunity arises. Plus I like that there is an end date in mind – makes you work a little harder when there is a deadline.

Raquelita April 20, 2011 at 10:56 pm

These are fantastic goals, Katy! I am curious though about your #12. Does that include groceries? If it does, I’d love to know your strategy for that. (Mine would be to have my spouse do the grocery shopping.)
Raquelita recently posted..Some Changes

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:57 am

HAHA Well, I actually work somewhere that covers all my room and board, meals included, so that wouldn’t be an issue. Although I don’t think I could manage not to pay my phone bill. I suppose it will be anything that is not absolutely essential to life. No Starbucks, clothing, meals out, etc…

Cate April 20, 2011 at 11:40 pm

you shouldn’t have any problems. there are at least 5 of these that you could do right now!

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:58 am

Cate – True, although some of the ones I could no now require $ that I don’t have. The tattoo is the one I’d like to do asap, but it is going to need to wait.

amanda. April 21, 2011 at 1:12 am

i’m doing the 101 things in 1001 days -getting a tattoo, buying a dslr & going a month without a purchase were on mine. they were some of the easier ones to do! once you make it past a week without buying something, it’s pretty easy to keep going for another three weeks. just make sure you’ve got plenty of food & allow yourself to buy basics, like toothpaste, but only after you’ve used it *ALL* up. with dslr’s, the competition is pretty even between canons & nikons – the decision comes based on any brand loyalty you may have (mine is to canon) and whether or not your camera will shoot video.
there are a TON of free podcasts on itunes to help you learn spanish – it’s all pretty basic, but it’ll give you a head start so that if you decide to buy something, you won’t get so frustrated.
have fun & good luck, you’ve got an impressive & adventurous list!

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 11:59 am

Thanks Amanda – For some of the things I will need to make a game plan to accomplish. The others may just happen and I just need to roll with it. it’s exciting to have goals to work towards and a deadline in mind.

noelani April 21, 2011 at 9:26 am

This is so fabulous- thanks for sharing on the blog! I have a new goal to try and do something like this every year- and see how much progress I can make, and laugh at what I used to think was important. I am always making so many lists, this would be a fun list to try.
noelani recently posted..An EducationIn the Maxxinista Ways

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 12:00 pm

It’s so true… some of this stuff will seem silly in a few years; like the pink tips. But others are things I’ve always wanted and can’t imagine not wanting still in 20 years. It’s good to mix it up a little.

Courtney April 21, 2011 at 11:01 am

Awesome list! Makes me want to share mine. Maybe I will!
Courtney recently posted..Dumping Toxicity- Updated Skincare Routine

katy_rose1 April 21, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Go for it. I think I might make a MisterLinky widget for others to post their lists. Would be fun to track each other.

Linz April 21, 2011 at 1:57 pm

How fun, I love lists like this!! I turned 30 a couple months ago, so I decided to make a 30 AT 30 list!

Good luck on accomplishing yours!

Debbie Baker Burns April 22, 2011 at 7:05 am

I keep knocking around the idea of making my bucket list. I like how you did yours for the next couple of years. That seems easier somehow. Maybe a blogging bucket list trend is beginning!
Debbie Baker Burns recently posted..Sparkly Grandma