Going Short, all over again

I’d finally had enough of my ‘long’ hair so when I got the opportunity to have my hair cut and colored at the Anthony David Salon in Burlington, MA I took advantage of the blogger deal and set-up an appointment. I’ve mentioned this before, but I was completely apprehensive about finding a stylist here in Boston and as a result I put off getting a cut and just kept trying to grow my hair out.

In St. Louis I had ‘my guy’ who I went to every 6 to 8 weeks. He got my hair and what I was trying to do with it. He was easy to talk to and didn’t mind that I was one of those clients who doesn’t talk much and watches everything he does intently with a lot of interest. But it had taken me almost a year and 5 other trial stylists to find him so it’s no wonder I was nervous about starting that process all over again, especially in a city where everything is more expensive than the Midwest. Thankfully – my search is over before it really ever began.

Anthony Vitale is the owner of Anthony David Salon. He opened this Burlington location in November, after owning and operating Studio for Hair in Boston for the past 14 years. He still works out of the Boston location once a week, but has begun transitioning to this suburban location in order to reach those who are unlikely to drive into the city.

Since Anthony is the expert and I just wanted it shorter I let him make all the calls. My only criterion was that I didn’t want to walk out looking like a boy and I still needed to look at least semi-professional, so no mohawks of half-shaved heads. Anthony put in these great honey-colored highlights and then I got an iPad to play with while the color set under the drier. The shampoo and conditioner smelled and felt great – a personal creation of Anthony’s. And then he went to town cutting, sculpting and shaping my hair. This is the result:

Amazing, right? And for me, the real test is whether I can style it on my own to recreate what was created in the salon. But it’s actually easy to work with. I blow dry it straight and then run a flatiron through it to smooth out the edges. Done.

Bottom line… If you are in Boston, looking for a salon you’ve got to check out Anthony David Salon or Studio for Hair. Ask for Anthony!!

This is outfit 5 of 30 for the Kendi Everyday Challenge.

Pants: Paige Denim scored at a swap
Tunic: H&M
Scarf: H&M
Belt: Zara
Boots: Jessica Simpson
Watch: Francesca’s Collections
Earrings: Claire’s

Sidenote: I’m trying to be Refinery29’s Next Big Style Blogger. Please take a second and vote. I can be found at Katy from Boston.

Katy Rose

75 thoughts on “Going Short, all over again

1. katy_rose1 Post author

hmm…. last time it was short I was a little afraid to wear big earrings, but I think I’m over that fear now. It’ll be interesting to see what else I try with this new short look.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

The iPad was totally one of my favorite parts. I’m sad to report it was my first time using one. Of course, I was instantly in love.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I’ll see what I can do in the days ahead to get a picture of the back. It’s basically short and ultra layered.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I could totally see the Bang Thing working on you. And after all, what’s the worst that can happen? You hate them and grow them out or pin them back. No big deal.

1. Francesca

I LOVE the hair. Whenever I cut all my hair off I find that I get a lot of negative reactions. Do you get the same? If so, how do you deal with them?

1. katy_rose1 Post author

It varies. This cut has been a lot of positivity. But a couple times in the past I went for short and little more edgy and people thought I was sending the wrong signals. I take the comments with a grain of salt. Usually there is some grain of truth in what they are saying. So I try to weed that out but keep going with what I like and feel good in.

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Going Short, all over again | ModlyChic -- Topsy.com

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Lori – Thanks! He really did do an amazing job! Certainly one of the best cuts I’ve ever gotten.

3. the other emily

This is such a great cut! I’m excited to see how it influences your style too, I’ve always found that a different haircut really influences the kinds of necklines and accessories I wear.

I’ve been hemming and hawing over getting mine cut soon – I’ve been growing out a pixie for over a year, and the ends are pretty gnarly but I worry it’s not quite long enough yet for the kind of cut I want. Still, it would be nice to be able to not wear it up every single day!
    the other emily
    the other emily recently posted..creature comforts

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Oh I did the pixie thing too about 16 months ago and then began to grow it out. But a trim will help you feel better about the growing out process. I always find I want my hair cut short again when I feel it begins to look gnarly on the ends. A trim usually helps tapper the urge to chop everything off – usually.

4. Melissa

Your hair looks great. I love short hair, its so easy and it almost always looks good. I have short hair right now and I do have bad hair days. I’m actually at a point where I think it’s time to grow it out, but after a while I will hate it and want to cut it short. It’s a constant cycle with me.
    Melissa recently posted..30 for 30- Day 5

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Melissa, it’s always a cycle for me too. I tend to go through a whole bunch of short styles or stick with just one and then begin to grow it out again. But after a while I begin to covet short hair cuts and I know it won’t be long before I am short-haired again. It feels better to me.

5. Anja

Wow, it looks so different, but it really suits you and you look sleek and professional as well as fresh in my opinion! Great style!! also love the outfit, especially the tunic!!
    Anja recently posted..Pretty Monday

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Thanks Anja – it is a pretty significant change from the bulk of curls I had going before. I love that I can go ahead and switch it up like this from time to time.

6. Kristin

FABulous haircut and the color is like sunshine while we suffer through this gross weather! I absolutely LOVE! And good to know that there is a salon in Burlington like that! I’m just up the highway – might check it out (although I am nervous about cheating on my stylist…).

You look so posh and chic!!

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Kristin – You’ve got to check it out and cheat on your stylist. I won’t tell and trust me – you will be in love with what Anthony can do. The highlights I was nervous about but they look great from all angles.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Ashley – LOL Body is the ONE thing my hair is TOTALLY full of. It’s amazing it gets to look this toned down. There is just so much bulk that is becomes really hard to manage as is gets longer.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Go for it. Maybe you want to let your stylist have complete creative control. If you trust her she might be able to do wonders that you didn’t know possible. I’m glad I let Anthony decide what was going to be done. Afterall it’s their profession so they should know what is going to work best.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Thanks. It’s certainly not a cut for everyone, but I find myself gravitating back toward a short cut every time I start to go long again. It must just me a thing for me.

7. Laura

I LOVE your new do! It looks amazing and flatters your face very nicely. I also love this outfit. The green belted tunic paired with the purple scarf is wonderful.
    Laura recently posted..A novel

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Thanks. I was just going to go with the belted tunic but then remembered the color mantra and thought let’s try to brighten up this green with something that will really pop. The purple scarf certainly did the job!

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Thanks! it feels chic, plus is lasts a really long time between washes, which is always a HUGE bonus for me.

8. Gracey

I love short hair and have been thinking that I need to cut mine again. But only if it looks as fabulous as yours. I think this cut looks wonderful on you – and I really like the outfit too. So cool and chic.
    Gracey recently posted..WeeCap Weekend Recap

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Thanks Gracey – I think the key is to find a cut that flatters your face. Ask a stylist what would be best and do a little research before you go short. But it is so worth it.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Haha Thanks Melissa! Anthony really did an amazing job. I’m sure there is a great stylist in Orlando who would be perfect for you. Try Yelp reviews, I think they are really telling.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Thanks Katie. It was certainly a pain to find the last one, so I’m more than a little relieved to be done before I even really began the process.

1. katy_rose1 Post author

Thanks! Anthony did such an amazing job with the cut and color, it really helps to accent my face and bring out my eyes. Isn’t amazing how a little cut can do all of that?

1. katy_rose1 Post author

I agree. I found the long hair was always getting pulled back in the same old ponytail, sometimes with a headband too. Boo! Not exciting. Now this is way more fun.

9. Maya Barber

Write more, thats all I have to say. Literally, it seems as though you relied on the video to make your point. You obviously know what youre talking about, why throw away your intelligence on just posting videos to your blog when you could be giving us something informative to read?Roofing Services of Irvine, 3871 Uris Ct., Irvine, CA 92606 – (949) 667-9966

10. Pingback: Fall Transition: The Tunic - ModlyChicModlyChic